Another Idiot Subaru Problem

It's been in the 20's for quite a while in the NE. On Sunday mornings, I go out to get the Sunday newspaper. When it's that cold, I drive; normally I walk the three blocks. So, after I buy the paper and get back into the Subbie ('03 Outback 3.0 engine) to drive home, it won't start easily. I have to crank and get a lot of gasoline smell around the car and then it slowly coughs to life. I fixed the problem by driving the car long enough to get the temp gauge moving after I leave the hose; then it starts OK. BTW, I don't have this problem with the '91 Jeep.

Reply to
Al

Get it fixed if your an idiot. I hope they raise the gas guzzling tax on your jeep. Idiot. I tell you about the time my grandma in her nieve retirement went through three brand new jeep fires in 1991? 80 grand in jeeps before dear old dad whipped out a can of holy whoopass.... I thought folks who knew vehicles had to keep an eye on elderly only... But no. Theres folks like you declaring a mechanical problem "idiot." Find a mechanic who isn't one, idiot. And pay the big bill like the rest of us idiots.

Reply to
bgd

Learn some English...."your" should be "you're"

For the 16 years I've had it, it's more than paid for itself. They can double the gas tax and it will still cost me a lot less than just the sales tax on a new vehicle.

Idiots buy a new vehicle every few years because they're "tired of it."

Again..."nieve" should be "naive." Are you a native speaker?

Again..."Theres" should be "There are."

;-)

Al

Reply to
Al

I have read of other folks having hard 'second start' problems, as in after moving a car out of the garage for a short time then trying to start it to park back in the original spot. Your complaint seems similar. It may be a 'problem' or just the nature of the beast. And truthfully, comparing to an older non-OBDII vehicle may not be fair.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

**Go to google groups and alt.autos.subaru and search "gas fumes in cabin in cold weather," there's a thread on it that might be of some help.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Probably cold-start related. Coolant still cold, so cold-start injector fires, causing a "flooded" condition. My old Legacy Turbo does this sometimes. Try holding the accelerator down while cranking; I think the ECU will interpret this as a "CLEAR FLOOD" (or something like that) signal, and stop injecting fuel until it fires up. See if there isn't some mention of this in your owners manual. Hope this proves helpful.

ByeBye! S.

So OBDII is not an improvement in usability? It seems to me that the more electronic gadgets we get in our lives, the more trouble we have dealing with them. Yes, the Jeep has fuel injection too, so what's the backwark step?

Al

Reply to
Al

I see OBDII as an awesome troubleshooting tool.

_If_ you understand the limitations and aren't afraid of technology...

Reply to
B A R R Y

I am surprized to see that someone as bitter as bgd even posts here. It should be illegal, ;)

As for your problem: It seems that you are having a leaky or sticky injector and that the engine is flooding. To prove this, next time it happens, floor the gas pedal and start the engine. Keeping the gas pedal to the bottom, cuts the fuel fed to the engine. If the engine starts like that, now you have a clue as where to start looking.

Good luck!

Al wrote:

Reply to
AS

In the late 50's there was a mechanic my father used, who could diagnose a problem with a long screwdriver. How? He would put the tip against whatever he thought was defective and the handle against his ear. He could tell by the sound the gizmo made if was defective or not. He would start out by placing the tip against the engine block and then going to where he thought the problem was. Then again, today you can't hear the electrons, can you? And no, he never got his ear caught in the belt ;-)

In the 70's I worked on a gov't project which tried to do diagnostics on military vehicles by matching the sounds they made to sound templates of good running vehicles. Trouble is, it it worked well only when one gizmo was defective. And that was before computers. I wonder if that could be made to work now?

Al

Reply to
Al

A mechanics stethoscope is a vital part of any savvy tech's tool kit. And while you can't here electrons per se, you _can_ hear the results they produce as they do their thing; injectors firing, relays opening/closing, motors running, etc.

You bet. The technique is called acoustic signature analysis. Combined with fast DSP (digital signal processing) processors, it is used extensively on everything from train wheels to rocket engines. I'd imagine auto manufacturers use it during prototype testing, but AFAIK the technology hasn't made it into a production vehicle. Yet.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

I think a 6 cyl. engine, for example, has an acoustic signature that is much more compliated that that of a train wheel. On my morning walk, I pass by a commuter train. Even I can tell when a wheel is bad; I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hot box sooner or later.

Al

Reply to
Al