Automatic transmission fluid won't go down the hole

I bagan to change the ATF yesterday in my 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon with

111000 miles. The drain plug opened and yielded approximately 4 quarts of brownish fluid. I changed the AT external filter ($33.00) USD adn proceeded to run the engine while refilling the tranny. After about two quarts the funnel would not empty and fluid was draining out of the filler hole and onto the garage floor. I took out the funnel and looked at the hole. It was all the way to the top. I opened the drain plug again and it was still dry. Anyone know what happened? This is my only car and I need it to run. Thanks
Reply to
CannonBoldwin

I suspect that you got the wrong dipstick !! There are 3 under the hood, engine oil, tranny fluid and your forward differential. !!! Be sure you got the right one !!!!!

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Wicked-Willy

Betcha Willy's right on the mark here. Start by draining all three (just to be on the safe side); the AT will take 4-5 quarts of ATF after being drained (note that it holds 7 or 8 quarts; you don't get it all out by simply removing the drain plug), the front diff takes something less than a quart of 90wt, the engine takes just over 4 quarts of 10w30. Three separate drain plugs, three separate dipsticks. Check your owners manual.

ByeBye! S.

I think you drained the engine oil and over filled the transmission. DON'T RUN ENGINE OR DRIVE UNTIL YOU GET IT SORTED OUT.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Let's not be prejudice. I knew a guy who did 100-110 services in a 10 hr day with a greasy sandwich hangin out of his mouth for lunch while he kept working...All for the customer's 9.95 cents and his hourly wage of much less. Flawlessly. They're not all jiffy lubes, whetever the heck that is. I serviced 20 a day and quit not long afterwards.... I was going insane......

Reply to
bgd