Malfunction of Electronic Key for 2003 Forester

My electronic key for the car has gotten a little odd lately. It seems to work about 1 out of 50 tries. I can stand close to the pick up antenna in the rear window and the action works a tiny bit better. I noticed the tiny red LED stays on quite a bit, but clicking the lock button eventually turns the LED off. I checked the battery once and it seems to be fully at 3v. Possibly some dust has gotten into the sensor, or the LED being on a lot has worn down the battery, which when turned off builds up enough charge again to work for just one shot. Any ideas how to isolate the problem? I'll get another battery tomorrow, but somehow I think it's in the pocket key device

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

You mean the "remote keyless entry"? That's what Subaru calls the two button remote control that opens the door locks, but can't turn on the ignition.

3V is the nominal value, but a fresh Li-Mn battery will be about 3.3V. You might find a new battery works better. Clean the inside with a cotton swab if it's dusty.
Reply to
y_p_w

Not sure what the issue is with your keyless entry, but one thing I=20 notice about mine -- there are parts of town where there seems to be a=20 lot of interference so that I have to get really, really close to the=20 car before I can unlock it.

There's > My electronic key for the car has gotten a little odd lately. It seems =

Reply to
Bart

Yes, keyless entry. I bought a new batter and it fairs the same. I think the remote may be failing totally. The dealer tells me a new one will cost $65. Looks like that's my next trial. I hope it isn't the receiver, or I'll end up with two transmitters.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

You can try eBay. I once saw several going for $5 starting bid with a $10 "Buy It Now" price. Might have been from some dealer that went under and sold its stock. Others are used or from lot sales.

Try

They have two remotes for anywhere from $45 to $65. Programming instructions are in your owner's manual.

This is for the 2002 model, so I'm not 100% sure that it'll work. You might try contacting them to find out.

Reply to
y_p_w

Holding the remote under your chin will extend the power/range a little. Ebay MAY have remotes a little cheaper but deal only with someone that assures you it will be compatible - sometimes there are FCC numbers on the back/inside that are important.

carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan