Transmission and Differential Fluid in 99 Camry

Hello All,

I am wondering if the automatic transmission and differential share the same fluid specifically for the 1999 Camry. If so, how many quarts do they hold together and if I drain them both, is it OK to just fill the transmission and hope that the diffential gets filled also? I was told that the pre-1995 automatic tranmission Camrys had their Differential and Transmission fluid in separate cases. You would have to drain and fill each separately. I heard that most people would forget about the differential and it would lead to problems down the road. Then later in the mid-1990 Toyota got smart and connected them. Is this true?

Thanks in advanced.

Reply to
hamwitty

BTW - I have 4 cylinder 1999 Camry. Transmission and Differential Fluid in 99 Camry by "hamwitty" Sep 16, 2004 at 07:15 PM

Hello All,

I am wondering if the automatic transmission and differential share the same fluid specifically for the 1999 Camry. If so, how many quarts do they hold together and if I drain them both, is it OK to just fill the transmission and hope that the diffential gets filled also? I was told that the pre-1995 automatic tranmission Camrys had their Differential and Transmission fluid in separate cases. You would have to drain and fill each separately. I heard that most people would forget about the differential and it would lead to problems down the road. Then later in the mid-1990 Toyota got smart and connected them. Is this true?

Thanks in advanced.

Reply to
hamwitty

Yours are seperate in 4 cyl camrys.

Reply to
ROBMURR

The transmission and differential do not share the same fluid. The transmission refill is about 2.2 qts and the differential is about 1.7 qts. The differential must be refilled from under the car using a hand pump.

Reply to
Larry

Looking at my chart, a 1999 Camry with the 1MZ-FE V6 gets 3.7 quarts of T-IV fluid total ... because the trans fluid is shared with the differential.

A 1999 Camry with the 5S-FE four cylinder gets 2.6 quarts of Dexron III and 1.7 quarts of Dexron III in the differential because the fluid is NOT shared.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

hamwitty wrote:

Reply to
Philip®

My wife's '93 V6 shares the same Dexron. I believe the 4 cyl did not. I don't know if that applies to all years.

For email remove "_no_spam_"

Reply to
MisterSkippy

You don gotta do it from underneath. I bought one of those stupid squeeze bulb pumps, it wouldn't even prime. But you can use the tubing with any old funnel, run it down from the top and pour away. Much faster and quicker.

mb

Larry wrote:

Reply to
MB