awd not same as off road

JUst as I said awd is not same as off road ready. wish I had thought to explain this to my son. He rolled our 03 forester, paniced and drove the car home. yes car did sustain damage, like no reaw window, roof rack, pass mirror, etc, but as I said he drove it home. Should also mention that none of his three friends were hurt either. Just glad all were wearing seat belts.

Reply to
ruejeffer

One of the funniest things I read lately was a local contractor getting stuck in a creek in his new Hummer. Apparently thought he was invincible and showing off to friends. Last I heard was constabulary planned to fine him ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

What does a rollover have to do with offroad capabilities?

If he flipped a Forester, chances are a real "off-road" vehicle, like a Jeep Wrangler, simply would have flipped earlier.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

As I was told as kid "4-wheel drive just gets you further into the woods before you get stuck"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

into the woods before you get stuck"

Given that most real 4wds get further offroad and can fall over more readily than a Forester, let's just be thankful it *wasn't* a 4wd. All's well that ends well. They're all safe, only the car's bent and I doubt if the lesson will need repeating! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

I can hope that we raise ugly children not stupid ones, but time will tell. He sure thought that it could do the same things as a monster truck. "> Given that most real 4wds get further offroad and can fall over more

Reply to
UNknown

Is it true that most everybody bends up a car in the early years of learning to drive?

TBerk

Yeah. Tell that to a 17 year old me who got his Crown Victoria stuck in sand. Somehow I didn't understand that it was going to sink. :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

There's SO MUCH to technique! The Jeep newsgroup had some photos of a Hummer stuck on a stump in a parking area (i.e. the belly was lifted off the ground so it couldn't move anywhere)--got pulled off by a Jeep naturally. On the other hand I've seen people drive some 2wd vehicles places where a lot of 4x4s would have trouble.

-John

Reply to
Generic

In the good ole days of the 60s in Montana, I saw VW bugs outperform International Harvester Scouts in hill climbing.

Al

Reply to
Al

Affectionately known as "high centered".

I did this with my Wrangler on a snowbank, pulled it out with an Outback.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

I high centered my Outback on a shelf of ice, had to get yanked out by a GMC

3500 snowplow truck. It was so icy out, that the snowplow got hung up on something right after pulling me out. I'm pretty sure that we could have rocked it out, but since the tow strap was still attached, I used the Outback to pull out the snowplow. :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Not to mention the VW Combi Van (not sure if they were called that in other countries). Perhaps one of the most commonly spotted older vehicles crossing the Australian desert.

Light, naturally aspirated, rear engined vehicles do have many things going for them ;)

Reply to
Damon McMahon