When is an Oil Change not an Oil Change..?

Hi All:

In these days of busy holiday shopping and party planning and the busy times in our lives I wanted to point out that even in an oil change we must be diligent.

Last Thursday I stopped at the Saturn of Albany for an oil change with my wife, and the staff were friendly and they were not really busy. Had four customers in the waiting area etc. They took the car looked it over had us sign some papers and said it would be ready soon. Also asked if we wanted a car wash. I said ha ha yeah I always want a car washed when its rain or snow falling as it was when we arrived. Guy said you have a good point there. Not too eventful. We sat in the show room, bought a few doo dads for ourselves and friends from the gift area and the service man came in and said the car was ready. It took around 30-35 minutes from time of arrival to end.

I asked where the car was and the man said it was under the canopy in front, I said can I have the keys? And he said they are in the ignition. I said that is a hell of a place to keep a car unattended. He said he spoke out about that same issue a few nights back but nothing was done on it. He also thought leaving cars in the parking lot with keys in them was risky. No matter I pay the $27 dollars and go out and find that the seat had a plastic cover on it and a paper drop cloth on the drivers mat which was not removed. I then took the junk out of the car and threw it in the trash.

Not thinking about the matter my wife asked me to check and see if they toped off the fluids and check the tire pressure on the car. I told her not to worry they did the procedures every other time we were there so I was assuming they did this time as well.

I check the car over when we reached home in the garage, and she was right. None of the fluids were topped off. No pressure was checked in the tires (I had to add the air and fluids myself). I was quite angry and by the time I was going to call the Saturn service department back they were closed.

Not to be too careful I checked and they did actually change the oil in the car, since it was clean on checking and they did put a new filter on. The next day I called the dealership and blasted them for not doing what they were PAID to do. I also pointed out they charged more than everyone else in the area and did not produce good work for that price. The nice lady said she would tell the service manager of the problem and I gave her the employee ID at the time of service and I said that was why in three separate occasions this dealships service department was the worst. We had two other nightmares for warranty work done in the past. Very shoddy repairs.

The next business day the assistant manager calls and states "You were right the mechanic was supposed to do the service and he forgot, and would I please bring the car back to them and they would top off the fluids and place air in the tires etc." I said I already did that myself and I was not going to drive out of my way to have something done that should have been done two days ago. He then went on to say that he would also like to give us a free LOF on the next occasion the service should be done. I said that was a nice gesture but three occasions now the service has been lousy and that is why as an emergency we had the 51,000 mile oil change done there. (Mobil was so packed that he wanted us to come back a day or so later or more. And this service station has fixed this car like all the others we own for many years)

He again was apologizing for the mishap but let me tell you, how many screw ups should a customer take? Then the dealership has the nerve to keep asking us to purchase another vehicle from them. They have got to be crazy!

Don't get me wrong the Saturn vehicle we own so far is the lowest cost to us in repairs and maintenance of any other car outside of the 2000 Impala, but the dealership should be carefully looked at from its past actions and that the customers should look at any or all work performed at this facility since I don't think they actually know how to service what they sell.

Well Happy Holidays to all and be safe out there!

Elector

Reply to
Elector

[snip]

One of the nice things about quickie oil change places is that you stand their and keep an eye on what is going out. I always say a good word to the man in the pit since he is likely doing the worst job. Think rain and winter.

An arguement could be made that at the dealership, a trained mech is looking your car over, something you don't get at a quickie but I have a feeling that the 'A' staff isn't changing the oil unless it is really slow. Likely they have a kid at minimum wage doing it.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Reply to
Teem

Funny you should post this today. I did an oil change this AM on my Saturn out in the driveway before I went to the dump. I've got it down to a science, takes me maybe 10 minutes. A friend of mine asked why I do it myself, asked me: "Don't I value my time?". Well, yeah I do, that's why I do it myself in 10 minutes rather than drive to the place, wait, drive back.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

Very wise man you are!

Plus, you know it was done correctly!

Reply to
Simplstupd

That is very true, but I brought up the fact that the Depaula Chevy dealership was having another one of them $9.95 10 minute oil changes and the service manager said you get what you pay for. Lets see down at Depaula they give the oil change and filter, top off the fluids and check the air in the tires. No car wash since who would have it done in a snow storm anyway? Advertised in 10 Minutes.

Saturn of Albany, $26.97 for waiting 35-40 minutes, oil and filter was changed, no top off of any fluids and no air in the tires, left a dirty plastic sheet on the drivers seat, a wet paper on my car mat and I got what I paid for? Yep I think Saturn of Albany must have a screw loose. Oh a plus is that since they did not do the job right this time I get a free LOF next time, even at free I am still over paying for what DePaula is charging and doing 6 miles down the road. Strange huh?

Elector

Reply to
Elector

that's why I

I usually go to Madison Mobil a few blocks away for everything on all our cars. We have had great service from them and the mechanics know us and like us. Around this time of year we understand they are busy so we thought we would be helpful and just have the LOF done elsewhere. In my neck of the woods the Quick Lube places are rip off joints. They strip the oil pan plug to sell you another one, try and screw with the car to get you to get another type of service etc. And even with a free car wash it is best to avoid them.

In the summer months I don't mind doing my own service for both oil an transmission fluid and filter changes. I have the proper tools and a clean garage but in the winter I don't like lying in the garage on a cold floor. And yes it takes me around 10-15 minutes to change the oil and top things off, including placing the air in the tires. But I just did not want to do it this time.

Elector

Reply to
Elector

Correctly? Heck, you know it was DONE!!! I've taken my car to a quickie lube place and I really don't think they changed the oil. I know they didn't top off the fluids like they check out form said.

I do it myself now. Quicker, Cheaper and I look at whats happening under the car. I know my car better than any mechanic.

Reply to
Fred Schwartz