Boxer engine better?

I have a 1997 Outback with 187,000 miles that may be put out to pasture after I get it back from having a head gasket replacement. If the repair bill is over $1500 I may sell it and get a newer Outback or Forester and was wondering if improvements have been made to the respective engines of these models since 1997. Research on Groups leads me to believe the DOHC engine I have was a head gasket bomb waiting to explode. The basic 2006 Outback comes with a SOHC engine and the turbo and 6 cylinder upgrades are DOHC. My other option is to pay the bill, drive it into the ground and pretend like I don't know what car payments are for a little while longer. Thoughts requested...

Reply to
webgaffer

Subaru redesigned H4 engine to SOHC 2.5 l starting w/ MY 1999 for Forester and MY 2000 for Outback; while 1996-1999 DOHC boxers were notorous for internal HG failure ( fire ring corrosion/breakage, which resulted in leaking exhaust fumes into coolant jackets, leaking oil into combustion chamber, leaking coolant into oil passages, leaking coolant into combustion chamber, and all the other disastrous stuff), early, i.e. 2000- 2003 SOHC engines for Outback displayed only external coolant/oil weep; Subaru recalled those engines and the remedy was putting "miracle glue" into cooling system, which formed a heat - activated colloidal suspension, and was reportedly supposed to strenghthen potential crack spots in HG; I own 2000 MY outback ltd. and since i bought it year ago it had the mentioned weep ( coolant on the driver side and oil on passenger side - both low bottom parts of HG - towards firewall of engine compartment); dealer applied "miracle glue" to my Subaru and apparently in the summer problem with coolant weeping appeared to be taken care of - what worsened was oil seepage, not substantial, though - i didnot even have to add oil between changes; currently - with outside temperatures in single digits seepage pattern somehow reversed - my Subie weeps cooland but no oil :) to make a long story short - I can live with the problem as long as I watch my oil and coolant levels; I do not noticeing to get worse as time passes - it just remains stable , in seasonally adjusted patterns; I might have my mechanic look at head bolts , and possibly retorque them while he replaces my timing belt , crank and cam seals, oil pump seal, and water pump but I do not believe I will need total HG replacement ( rumor has it Subaru redesigned head gaskets few times since 2000 and the recent ones work perfectly - but i'm sorta nonbeliever in that matter)

Reply to
daszkiew2000

I have a 2004 Subaru Outback 2.5i and it burns a quarter of oil in 2.500 miles, since the first day (and I buy tis car new in may-2004). drive with it 50.000 Km in a familiar use (I never execed the 4500 rpm, I drive betwen

2.000 and 4.000 rpm).. I try use many oil type: CEPSA 5-40, Motul 8100 5-40, Castrol TXT 5-50, but it burns the same oil.

Subaru say that It is normal util a quarter in 1.000 miles. For me this engine is a oil-guzzler.

I noticed others Subaru 2.5i 2004 engines whith the same problem, but many Subaru 2.0i, 2.0T and 3.0i with no oil consomation.

Now Subaru announces a new engine 2.0i 165HP in Legacy, in substitution the

2.5i 165HP engine. It plans eliminate this 2.5i engine?

jnm

"webgaffer" ha escrit en el missatge dels grups de discussió: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Joan Masoliver