Info about Chrysler 2.0L Engine

I am considering buying a 1999 Plymouth Breeze for my daughter to use for school.

It has a 2.0L engine. According to Allpar.com, there are SOHC and DOHC versions of this engine.

Were both used in the Breeze, or only one?

I have a 1998 2.4, and have been through the headgasket replacement, and the rear main seal coming out, and scrapping against the flex plate.

Do the 2.0's have the same problems? From my readings in this NG, the

2.0 in the Neons have had their share of troubles.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks,

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

It is a DOHC and has not had any head gasket problems that I know of. As far as I know, it has also not had rear main seal problems. The head gasket fix was done mid-1998. The Neon 2.0 seems to be pretty reliable

- keep in mind they sold many, many of them, and quite a few were used for racing - other than the head gaskets and the usual old-engine sensor issues.

Reply to
dave

I always thought that it was the SOHC. I remember when they first interduced the car. There was a shortage in the SOHC engines as a result, and some neons got a free upgrade to the DOHC. As for the head gaskets, that was resolved in 1997. As for reliability, I would say the engine (at least the SOHC) is amazing. I own 2 Neons (1995 5speed and a 2001 auto). Currently I have just over 445,000km on the 1995.

Mike mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

snipped-for-privacy@allpar.com wrote:

Reply to
mike