Burning smell, piston slap, clunk when cold

Merry Christmas (or politically correct: Happy Holidays)

Yesterday (Dec. 23, 2003) I went to my car service shop with few items on my list to complain about:

Model: Outback, SW, AT, 2002, 2.5L, H4 Mileage: 47,852km (29,733 miles)

Problem:

Burning smell coming from front right wheel. I could smell it in the passenger cabin when car is stopped. Especially after going uphill.

Cause and solution:

Right front axle leak. Since grease, they (Subaru), are using is not very temperature stable, it tends to leak on front right axle and drop on exhaust system. This seems to be a problem ever since '98 models. Subaru doesn't think this is a big problem so they treat it:" as per customer complaint" and won't replace it if they spot it (say when you bring your car for regular maintenance). In other words, you have to complain.

Also, Subaru of Canada pays only for the leaking axle side and will not pay for the other side since there is no indication that the other side will fail. Go figure...@#$%$#@%$#@%$#@%$

I asked service shop guys to fix both sides. Initially they said they won't do it, but they did it. THANK YOU GUYS.

Official working sheet wording:

A621-124 Repacked both inner axle joints

- grease (x2 - for both sides)

- clamp (x2)

- pin (x2)

Problem:

Engine knocking when outside temp. is below 10C (50F)

Cause and solution:

First time I complained, they had to replace "engine short block". It was at 25K km (15,5K miles) February, 2003. Problem solved, I thought, but it came back this winter. So I decided to use engine block heater to increase the engine temp. before starting the car engine. That only partially reduced the problem.

Yesterday, Dec. 23, 2003, I complained again and those guys decided to replace timing belt tensioner. I picked up my car from the service shop and this morning (Dec. 24th, 2003), when I started it, noise was gone. THANK YOU GUYS. Even if it comes back I know that the problem can be resolved. I'm happy.

Problem:

Clunk when shifting in reverse (AT) and until tranny warms up.

Cause and solution:

I don't know for sure what the cause can be, but, thanks to all those who posted their problem/solution on the Internet I was able to go to my car service shop, tell them what other users experience was and give them some ideas where to look.

Here is what they said in their working sheet:

Road tested with customer - could only partially duplicate noise (clunk). Refit front exhaust, retorqued front engine and transmission mounts. Clunk still heard from park to reverse. Refit top transmission mount (dogbone mount) - noise gone now. Note: Other drive line noises normal.

I tested the car this morning (Dec. 24th, 2003) and so far I'm happy. :-) THANK YOU GUYS.

CONCLUSION:

Big THANK YOU to all of you guys, your posts, observations, comments and all other, I was able to go to my car service shop and give right directions where I though the problem(s) was/were.

Big THANK YOU to service shop guys (I'm not sure if I may name them as if it might be against discussion group policy). If you need their info send me an e-mail and I'll be glad to share that info with you. This only applies to those who are in Vancouver, BC, Canada region.

Voja

Reply to
Voja