buying a vehicle procedure - seeking advice

Hi,

I found a car to to replace my hit/poor Subaru. I visited seller, drove the car, all is okay. Some details remained but kind of ready for a transaction. Now, she insists to wire money to her account. All looks fine, but it begs a question, how to be 100% certain I get the car once money are transfered?

On the other hand I understand the seller and her desire to be 100% sure she gets her money.

So what is the safest procedure which makes both parties confident that the transaction will not turn out to be a fraud.

Thx everyone for the advice, Andy

Reply to
alf

Dunno why she can't take a check. But, you could take a check or the cash and meet her at her bank. OR, have her bring the title to your bank and handle the transaction in the office of one of your bank's officers.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Why not cashiers check? Wire transfers I get from EC cost sender about $40 and bank may charge me $10.

Reply to
Frank

Unfortunately, anyone that's done any business on craigslist knows that cashiers checks can be forged.

Do the wire transfer at the bank, in person. Buyer should verify with a photo ID that the seller is who they say they are, and that it's the name on the title. Signed title and keys surrendered once the wire transfer is completed. Seller can call their own bank to verify the deposit before anyone leaves the heavily surveillance-filled building.

There's a necessary modicum of trust needed in a transaction between private owners. If that can't be established, the necessary level of goodwill to make it work, just isn't there. If you want 100% guarantees of low posession drama, a dealer lot may be a better bet.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

At least then you KNOW you're going to get screwed :) In seriousness I was a bit surprised at just how paranoid people have gotten about cashiers checks and money orders when we bought our Subie last spring. We ended up just using cash but obviously that has it's dangers.

Reply to
Ray

Can't you simply call alleged issuing bank and verify that the cachiers check is legitimate? Or go there in person and observe the check being issued?

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Pluzhnikov

If you are both local, do the transaction at your bank, and get the title and keys on the spot. That way the seller is sure the check is good (lot of chatter about phony cashiers checks that take time to verify), and you get the clear title and don't have problems obtaining it after your money is gone.

Reply to
QX