Buying a 2007 Toyota

Looking to purchase a 2007 Avalon/Camry. Haven't decided which one yet. Looking for advice from 2007 buyers on where should I start to negotiate. Where should I start from the MSP. Do I start at $2000 below the sticker price? Looking for a starting point. Help

Reply to
bjd

I just bought a new Avalon last night. This is my second one. The first was a 2005 model. Both XLSs. Great cars. Paid about 2200 less than sticker.

Reply to
user

Was there ever a Toyota that wasn't a grear car? Actually while I'm thinking about it, I know that some of the Tercels 3 speed automatic transmissions were crappy in the mid 90's.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Check out Edmunds.com

They have a lot of good info

Reply to
JoeBillyBob

First check for the incentives that are available for your geographic area. Check carsdirect.com for a low cost zip code such as 93001.

Multiply the invoice price by 0.95, subtract the incentives, and bargain up from there (the dealer cost). You should be able to get it for about $500 over actual dealer cost (not over dealer invoice).

Never start from the MSRP.

If you can wait a few months, incentives tend to go way up around July or so.

Reply to
SMS

I've owned a bunch of them and all BUT ONE have been good cars. The exception was a 1995 Toyota Cressida which had a lot of problems. The most prominent was the seemingly unavoidable failure of its valve guide seals. I recall waiting at a light for a few minutes. When it turned green and I took off, I would seldom see any cars behind me as they were completely hidden in the haze of my blue smoke. Other than that one POS, I like em'. jor

Reply to
jor

Was the Tercel called the Cressida in Europe, or do you mean 1985...?

Reply to
mjc1

Start from the dealer cost, not down from the MSRP.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

BTW... by hard bargaining - which involved walking out twice (on my part) & finally getting the deal I wanted during the third negotiation session - I have paid ~$400 over dealer cost two car purchases ago, & $200 over cost on my present car; same dealership.

They would rather make a sale with little profit than no sale at all. Tell them what you're willing to pay & don't budge. Even if it means walking out & leaving them dangling. By the time you walk back in a few days to a week later, they'll be willing to meet your offer - or at least start to meet it. There is no way I'm willing to pay anything near MSRP. (Will probably have to kiss that notion good-bye if I decide on a Prius at some point...)

(I got the dealer cost of the basic car, plus for each & every option from Consumer Reports; small fee for the print-outs.)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I think my method is easier and a lot less hassle. I call the same dealer than I've been dealing with for the past 24 years, tell him what I want, and when it comes in, he gives me a price that is $300 over his cost, I write him a check, and we're out the door, with him thanking me for the dozen or so referrals a year I've been sending him for the past 24 years.

Reply to
Ray O

I've been buying cars from this particular dealership since '84 - & got paid for a referral at one point (a Toyota promotional thingy), so maybe at some point they'll do the same for me?! 'Twould be nice! (OTOH, it changed ownership at one point, so...)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

People who know me know that I used to be in the car business, so when they ask my opinion about cars, I always mention the dealership and ask them to let the dealer know I sent them. That little bit of networking has paid off in much reduced brain damage when I'm shopping for me ;-)

Get friendly with someone at the dealership where you buy your cars - they will remember you!

Reply to
Ray O

Especially considering that 1992 was the last year the Cressida was available in the U.S.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I hoipe you got plenty of kissing and foreplay beforehand both times because you sure got f....d when you took out your checkbook...

Reply to
Kicking Bird

they can discount the car 10% from the sticker, if they won't start there, walk away.

Reply to
BigJim

Also, watch out for losing money on financing, trades, and add-ons.

Reply to
Art

There are big discounts on the Prius now in California. What happened is that the limited number of carpool lane permits was used up, and no more are going to be issued (unless the Toyota lobbyists spend a lot of money). The only real reason to buy a Prius was for the carpool lane privilege. Sales are way down.

Reply to
SMS

Ouch!

Reply to
SMS

I had a 1985 Land Cruiser that ate exhaust manifold gaskets about every six months. Also, it didn't have a locker or LSD, which were only available after-market. 11 MPG city/13 highway. I sold it rather than repair all the rust damage. There is a big market for the used Land Cruisers of that vintage, I didn't even advertise it, someone knocked on my door and asked if I'd be interested in selling it.

Reply to
SMS

We got $5,000 off a $40,000 Avalon.

We wanted the navigation system and XM radio,and were unable to get it on an XLS. ( Yep, it is available, but may take 4 - 6 months to get one.) An XLS would have run $32,000 outfitted inthis way.

We had originally thought about a Camry, but the six speed tranny issues put us off.

Reply to
<HLS