Buying a new car on the internet.

Any thoughts on this? Good idea, or not?

Reply to
irwell

Check the reputation of the dealer from which you're purchasing. If it's far from your home, an unscrupulous dealer could refuse to do the deal for the agreed price once you get there. I know there's been some talk about this on the edmunds.com forums. You might check there. I recall seeing some positive feedback regarding some of the dealers.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

The last two cars I bought I used the internet.

First car Azera Limited - went to the local dealer said here's what I want, I can get it for this from a dealer on the internet, match the price. After the obligatory trip to the sales manager came back within $50 of internet price and we had a deal.

Second car Elantra Limited - went to the same dealer and he wasn't willing/able (he said here's what Hyundai is giving us we can't special order what you want)to check surrounding dealers for the color/model we wanted so bought on the internet from a dealer 200 miles away. No problems got a good deal and was satisfied. So far no service problems at the local dealer.

If you know what you want, have tested one locally and are willing to travel you can find a good deal on the internet. Most dealerships are set up for internet sales and I've found it painless. I will give the local dealer a chance to match in the future but also not hesitate to go to the internet if it makes economic sense.

Reply to
jp103

Used

to purchase an off-lease Deville DHS with 11000 miles 92 miles from home.

Most of my dialog was carried out with the sales rep via email. The price was negotiated down during this process. The sale wasn't completed over the internet by design. Instead we agreed to the price contingent on our visit to the dealers showroom. Ended up having them rebalance the tires and add a luggage net and a duplicate set of floor mats at no charge.

One of the best purchase experiences I've ever had.

I also negotiated a price for my 2007 Sonata on-line but ended up buying it locally using my on-line quote as reference. Think I paid $100 more but it saved me a 400 mile round trip.

The internet will be a "tool" in any of my future purchase processes!

Reply to
DonC

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:28:14 -0600, "hyundaitech" wrote:

A KIA dealer in a nearby town had some new leftover 2007 KIA Optimas (Sonta's first cousin). He had it advertised as a close out sale in the newspaper for $10990. Altho, not particularly in the market for a new car I thought this may be too good to pass up.

I emailed the fleet manager believing I could by- pass some of the salesman hassle. I asked do you still have this car for $10990 net. He assured me that he did and urged me to come on in saying that he would give me the best price and top dollar on my trade if I had one.

I went to meet him at the dealer ship. After the obligatory test drive we sat down at a table at the dealership. The first thing he did was bring out the infamous four square worksheet. I told him right there that we didn't need the four square worksheet but he would not put it aside. That immediately raised my suspicions as I had believed I could avoid some of a hassle by going to the fleet manager. I told him that there would be no financing, that is would be a cash deal. Then the first thing he did was add on an additional amount in excess of three thousand dollars explaining that this was for a dealer installed alarm system and fabric treatment. I told him "No" I was not interested in those extras. He said that they were already installed and I had to take them. I told him that they installed the alarm and they could take it out. I told him that the five year fabric treatment deal was simply a scam. He replied by saying that they had to make money in order to stay in business. We haggled back and forth. Then he pulled the next infamous dealer tactic. He left and sent out another salesperson. I asked this guy if he was the sales manager and he said "Yes". I then asked him if he had final authority to agree to a price and he said "not exactly". He was still trying to do trick me with the four square worksheet by giving me a final price without itemizing it. Then I threw the Trade-in offer at him. He offered me $1000 on a trade worth far more KBB trade value than that. I was ready to walk out. But in the meanwhile he had given bank my registration slip (he said he needed it when I mentioned a trade) He told me that they would lose money if they agreed to my offer. I told him that I would lose money if I agreed to his counter offer. Finally after he made several more trips back to the real sales manager, who I never saw, I was given back my registration slip and left.

My last word to them before I left was that the so-called fleet manager has lured me in with false promise in his email to me.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

I've used the internet twice, once for my 2006 Sonata and for my daughters Civic. Living in a major metropolitan area gave me a choice of several dealers to go to, so travel wasn't an issue. Overall, both purchases were easy and straightforward with minimum hassle. Naturally they tried for all the add on stuff at the end of the deal. A word of caution though, do your homework up front as far as costs and options. Several of the replies I received were incorrect as far as the equipment I requested. Also a few of the dealers basically replied saying come in, we have the car you are looking for but didn't give a price. Reply back asking for the price before going in.

Reply to
Marc

Good point, Mr. HyundaiTech.

I wish there were enough of us on this site to start posting where the "good" dealers are. I have seen enough of both that I am getting a real feel for it where I live. But I have little optimism that, where I live, my dealerships could help hardly anyone else on this site, as I don't live near a major metropolis.

But since others have found good dealerships - and bad - especially for Hyundais, I would like to think that this could be good information to share. I believe Hyundai to be THE best overall vehicle value in the US, especially in 2008. One of the ways to forward this is to try to keep people rolling into the good and reputable dealerships, whomever they may be.

Thoughts anyone?

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

In most states, this is illegal. If they still have the advertised car, they're required to sell it to you at the advertised price or lower. (Of course, if *you* want to add things at additional expense, that's your prerogative).

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

The dealer claimed he had himself covered for legality. When I protested the Alarm and Fabric Treatment add-ons the dealers pointed out the small print in his ad. In fine print it said Tax and license additional. Also printed was - All dealer installed items will be sold at retail price. His take on this was that they were already installed so the add-ons were covered by the fine print. I have doubts as to how well that would hold up in court but I am not the one to take him to court. His ad did read $10990 NET.

I have fond memories of the days when I negotiated directly with a party that was authorized to agree on a price and close the deal.

Some years ago a friend of mine closed a deal on a car and the person he was dealing with was the brother-in-law of the owner. It seems that the brother-in-law agreed on a price and signed a contract that the owner did not agree with, The dealer tried to squirm out of the deal but my friend threatened to take him to court and did get the car as agreed upon.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

[...]

Ahh, yes. The old fine print. I haven't seen that one yet. The ones making their way around here indicate something like "price includes trade of $xxxx." In other words, you need to add $xxxx back on to the advertised price to get the real price.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Whenever I buy a new car I am upfront telling them that I'm not paying for the fabric and paint protection bullcrap, so I'm walking if they want me to pay it. Then I tell them they have one trip to the manager. After that I walk. Remember that it's your money and not theirs. Take it somewhere else. You'll see the sales manager right away and go from there. Like they said, do your homework and know the actual invoice price and know that they can go below that because it's so darn padded with bull. If they don't, walk. Don't waste too much time on them. Screw them. In the old days, the base price had 12% profit built in and the options all had 15% built in. Now they show much, much less but my philosophy is that it's still there somewhere because they couldn't do business if their potential profits dropped from 15% to 5%. I still assume the 12 and 15% profit in my negotiations and give them 5% after taking out the 'assumed' 12 and 15% profits. I give them my car at the KBB trade in value for an excellent condition car (if it is). They take the deal almost 100% of the time. I've walked one time in the last 15 new cars. Been doing it for many, many cars. You just have to be a hard ass SOB and know that they are the scum of the earth in your heart. Hard but true.

"Old_Timer" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
631grant

In many dealerships you never see that person. My best experience was when my daughter was buying her first car, a Ford Escort. She went to a dealer on her own and was given a price $100 off sticker of $6300. I was going to have the final say since I was making the downpayment as part of a graduation gift. She wanted the car and wanted to pay that. I went back with her to finalize a deal and was given the same BS. We walked. Daughter was upset since she was going to make the payments, etc.

Half hour later I took her to another dealer in the area. Saleswoman (owner's daughter) came out and asked if we wanted to test drive the car we were looking at. I said no, just give me a price I'm comfortable with and I'll buy it. Five minutes later we bought the car for $600 less than the first dealer.

Daughter is now very capable of negotiating a decent price on her cars.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I just bought a new Santa Fe this week (The fourth Hyundai in my family).

I found that most dealerships that offer "Online" quotes really do not make such offers. First of all they require you to give your phone number for the online quote. Then they call and try to get you in the dealership for a test drive but they still will not give you a written quote.

The only dealer that actually emailed me a quote was my local dealer who I bought the other three Hyundai's from.

So he got my business again.

Reply to
paul

I purchased my Hyundai via the Internet Manager at Pugi Hyundai/Mazda/ VW in Downers Grove, IL. They will e-mail you a real price, and adhere to it when you visit the store. I was very impressed with the entire sales transaction - it was a truly seamless purchase. The F&I Manager tried to sell me the Extended Warranty during the closing process, but when I declined the offer, he went on with the business of finishing the paperwork. Our local Hyundai dealer, which claims to sell at "Employee Pricing" to a normal buyer, can't come close to the pricing that Pugi offers. As a former new car salesperson, I know all of the tricks, and Pugi is as straightforward as any dealer I've ever dealt with in the past.

Reply to
Don Allen

Reply to message from Old_Timer (Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:14:37) about "Re: Buying a new car on the internet.":

O> I went to meet him at the dealer ship. After the obligatory test drive O> we sat down at a table at the dealership. The first thing he did was O> bring out the infamous four square worksheet. I told him right there O> that we didn't need the four square worksheet but he would not put it O> aside.

You are indeed a far more patient man than I.

At the juncture above I would have asked him point blank if he was able to sell me that car (pointing to the one you test drove) for $10,990. If he said yes I would then tell hair to start the paperwork, and would bring up the trade at that point (making him stop the paperwork). If he had said anything other than yes I would have got up and walked out, never to return. After all, you were not really in the market.

Dealers like him are crooks and are not interested in a fair respectable deal. They also are too myopic to understand that they make the money after the sale and in repeat business and referrals.

Best Regards Wayne Moses Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:10:01 -0600

Wayne Moses

We bought our 06 Elantra at Quirk Hyundia in Bangor ,Maine...GREAT people. GREAT service...No hassel , no tricks...They even gave us a thousand dollar rebate even though the promotion didn't start for another week He did ask if we wanted the Extended Service Warranty but were NOT pressured in any way. They WILL have my business in the future....4 STARS......

Reply to
benick

Never give out personal information via a website, email or over the phone unless your absolutely have to and you are sure it is safe to do so. If you are conducting a transaction using your credit card on a website make sure it is legitimate first. Don't arrive at the site through a link in an email; type the web address directly in the Address Bar yourself. Then make sure your transaction is secure via a secure server; look for a logo such as Verisign or check that there's a lock icon in the lower right corner of your screen.

''web designer new york'

'
's Profile:
this thread: