Chatter above 3000 rpm

I drive a 2004 WRX that's developed a chatter above 3,000 rpm. Sounds vaguely like valve clatter, but is very muted, and only audible under throttle. Since the turbo is spooling up and engaging right around

3,000, should I suspect a turbo problem, maybe a relief valve that's opening when it shouldn't? Car is under extended Subaru factory warranty and going back to the dealer next week. No other problem, just curious as to what this might be so I can counter any BS the service dept. might give me.
Reply to
suburboturbo

Interesting. I suppose it's in all gears and in neutral? I suppose it could be something esoteric like wastegate flutter w'ever, dunno. Is it definetly underhood? Sometimes heat sheilds will rattle at specific RPMs.

maybe our tech (Steve?) will respond. If not, try searching/posting at

or

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Try not to get too involved in noises without hearing them. Heat shields would be my first look too. Steve

Reply to
S.Hansen
46$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com...

My heat shield rattles from about 2900 to 3100. If it is at all engine speeds over 3k, it probably isn't a heat shield. I've had three cars (maxda MX-6, volvo 240DL, and subaru legacy) with heat shields that have worked loose, and all of them only rattled in a narrow window of engine speeds. Heat shield rattles are very common on subies though.

Bill

Reply to
weelliott