clattering noise at startup

With my 2000 Outback limited with just under 50K mileage, this morning I experienced a loud clattering noise coming from the engine like two cake pans being banged together. It lasted for about 30 seconds then died down to the usual engine tapping Subaru keeps telling me is normal. I have also noticed that there are oil spots under the engine. Yes, I took the car in tonight and left it so they could listen to a cold engine in the morning.

Seems like too young an engine for major work!

Reply to
JDC

Sounds like the metal shield on the catalytic (or other exhaust part) is vibrating. AFAIK this is annoying, not a major problem. I think it's usually seen in cars with more than 50K though. I just started hearing it on my '92 legacy with 137K!

I haven't heard about what is d> With my 2000 Outback limited with just under 50K mileage, this morning I

Reply to
Rob Aries

Reply to
dug hall

It could have been the timing belt tensioner. These have been known to be noisy on cold starts....

Reply to
Skweezieweezie

Turned out to be a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter. The oil drips were caused by the mechanic who changed my oil at an airport parking lot. He didn't use a new gasket washer on the oil pan plug. While I was there, the dealer added the head gasket conditioner to the antifreeze and extended the head gasket warranty to 8 years or 80,000 miles.

Reply to
JDC

Turned out to be a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter. The oil dips were caused by a mechanic who changed my oil and didn't use a new oil pan plug gasket washer. While I was there the dealer added the head gasket condtioner to the anitfreeze and increased the head gasket warranty to 8 years or 80k miles.