considering '05 Forester

My wife and I were on the dealership lot today and each and every Forester had a $1495 US markup. The Legacy's and Impreza's were also right there and same markup! The separate dealer sticker had something like "Market Adjustment" showing this $1495 in addition to any other options that they may have put into it, like the mats, arm rest, etc. The dealer's web site posts an X at say $22,500, but in reality they are $24,000 on the lot!

I have been looking on and off at the Forester for two years and now that we have a need for a new car I am looking more seriously but to know that I lose $1500 in negiation right off the bat, I don't know... I checked into KBB.com per someone's previous post and invoice is much lower than sticker.

Anyone else seen this in some of their markets? I am in the central Virginia, US market. I had seen that there was a lease available to our area for about $250 for the X trim level, but I don't know if a lease is worth it - although I haven't looked that hard into that type of program.

Reply to
S. Brooks

Years ago I saw this on a Toyota. I suggested that I wasn't paying it and they were more than willing to ditch it.

I have never bought a car in less than 5-7 days. I start at invoice, from Consumer Reports, etc... and work up from there. The sticker is actually pretty meaningless. I have great credit, don't trade cars in, and have always managed to work a really good deal. I've never leased a car.

Don't forget, even at invoice, most brands have a holdback, so the dealer is still making money at invoice. Once the dealer totally refuses to sell you a car, you've usually reached the bottom line. I'll usually wait a few days before I move from that point.

What's worked for me is to stay impersonal and always be willing to pass on the deal. I have yet to not buy a car because I couldn't reach a price agreement. One more thing, the salesperson usually can't truly sell you a car. Negotiate with the sales manager or someone else who can actually sign the deal.

I've also found that talking less and using the exit worked really well in car negotiations. Written quotes shopped at other dealers can also help, as can 'net quotes.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

In Houston, I've seen a local Subaru dealer discounting close to 10% off sticker for some Forester and Outback models. Here's a link to the ad:

Hope it's legible.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

Reply to
Edward Hayes

That is nuts! I wouldn't put up with it.

If Maryland isn't too far for you to drive, none of the Subaru dealers around here have that kind of dealer markup. I bought a 2003 Forester X two years ago from Herb Gordon . The price (just under $20k before taxes) was exactly as they listed on their web site.

Check out fitzmall.com too. They have Forester 2.5X 4EAT under $19k (including freight) supposedly. Never dealt with them, so don't know if you'll actually get this price.

-R.

Reply to
Richard Chang

One of the cheapest Subaru dealers in the country isn't all that far from you. Check out:

WisedU

With dealer inventories lingering around all time highs, you shouldn't be paying any mark-ups whatsoever.

Reply to
thcmdma

Go to

and look at new Subaru's. Put in your zip code and look at supposedly others are paying for the same model and year.ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Let me second this recommendation for Fitzgerald: my mother has bought both of her Subarus from them (98 Legacy Outback, 2005 Outback) and had pleasant experiences and pricing with them. Make the drive. If/when I ever decide to buy a new Subaru, I'll be checking them out and seeing if I can force Van Bortel to match their price, their policy notwithstanding.

Reply to
KLS

When I bought my 04 Forester XS in May this year it was only after extensive research. I was armed with "dealer cost" for my area. This is entirely different from "Invoice Cost". The dealers basically invent Invoice Cost to their benefit. As I live in Western Canada I used a website called Carcost Canada. For about $20CDN I got the actual dealer cost. Most of the new car buying websites, books and such suggest always starting negotiations from the dealer cost point NOT the Invoice Cost and forget about MSRP. I strongly recommend visiting the website

It will alert you to all of the little tricks used to try and get that extra few (hundred) dollers here and there. Good luck and consider the whole purchasing thing a sport where the aim is to beat them at the game, it can be done. They (dealers) don't like it but it's my money and my game to win.

Here's a clip from an e-mail I sent out at the time of my buying decision.

To add my 2 cents: You certainly need to find another dealer. While we all like Subaru and want them to have a healthy business, in a free market we want the best deal we can get and dealers want the most profit they can get. Personally, I'm a buy and holder. Not sure how much difference there is between '05 and '04 but I would look to save big time on an '04 this time of year. You should get it under invoice. Also I do not lease, trade in, dealer finance, or buy warranties. I separate the car deal from all else and look at that bottom line. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

I just bought a new 2005 Forester 2.5 XS two weeks ago.

MSRP: $25,016 Invoice Price: $23,079 I gave $22,500

I was quoted this price online from dealer. Suggest you look at Subaru website,

and locate vehicles you interested in and request quotes. I went in, test drove and bought in just a few hours without any negotiations.

This was in the St. Louis area. Most here are offering them at 1 to 2% over invoice, or slightly under for 2005's. On 2004's they are saying up to 10% off.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom