Tranny case destruction

Recently I have been trying to find out what causes a Legacy clutch pedal to stiffen up. I am sure that the clutch plates are not worn to the point of slipping. So I replaced the cable without remedying the problem. I asked a Subaru mechanic that does side work and he mentioned that he's seen, on two occasions, throughout become misaligned in use and proceed to broach the tranny case bore. The repair for this a new or used transmission complete when done at a dealer shop.

So far the only other theory available is that the throughout was not lubed properly from the last dealer installed clutch or the release lever is buggered-up. No one on this list has been able to offer a probable cause. The new cable requires frequent tightening because of the constant strain. Has anyone seen this problem before?

After the holidays I'm going to have the mechanic I know tear down the car and see what's up. If I have to replace the tranny this 126K, '98 Legacy wagon might be condemned. If I only need a new clutch, $500 US will cover parts and labor for the basic job.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Sachs

Recently I have been trying to find out what causes a Legacy clutch pedal to stiffen up. I am sure that the clutch plates are not worn to the point of slipping. So I replaced the cable without remedying the problem. I asked a Subaru mechanic that does side work and he mentioned that he's seen, on two occasions, throwout bearings become misaligned in use and proceed to broach the tranny case bore. The repair for this a new or used transmission complete when done at a dealer shop.

So far the only other theory available is that the throwout was not lubed properly from the last dealer installed clutch or the release lever is buggered-up. No one on this list has been able to offer a probable cause. The new cable requires frequent tightening because of the constant strain. Has anyone seen this problem before?