Forester - Ease of Access for Elderly

Hi,

I currently have a 95 Taurus and am looking to move to a new Forester....

How easy is it for elderly person to get in and out of a Forester? With it's 8 inch plus height from the street, is it easier to get into????

We have only the Taurus to compare it with.....

Thanks,

John W.

Reply to
milkroute

In my opinion it will be far easier. The seat height is roughly right at your butt height... just back your self in and swing the legs. No deep squats to lower yourself in. Enjoy, great practical safe vehicle.

Reply to
Grolsch

It's great/perfect. Much easier to get out of than any low slung car. No climbing either like in big SUV's. Frank

Reply to
Frank

We have 2 cars, an 05 Forester XT and a 97 Dodge Caravan. One family member, who has bad arthritis, and is a stroke survivor prefers the Caravan. Seat hight is perfect to sit on (not into) and getting up is much easier. To get out of the van, you only have to swivel your legs out and stand up. From the Forester, she has to stress the hips & knees to come to an upright position. Seat height in the Forester is about 23". It's 31" in the van. Those measurements are effective seat height, not the edge bolsters. What it all boils down to as far as handicap access, is seat height. This is also within limits, as if it's too high, it becomes even more of a challenge. The Forester is easier to get in and out of over my daughters car (Nissan Sentra), again, the seat height is the key. Don't get me wrong, I love driving the Subie over the van, but we just select the appropriate vehicle based on who is going along. Ideally, it the elderly person will be a regular passenger, a test drive may be the best solution.. FYI, the Forester has enough room in the back to carry a standard wheelchair when folded flat without extending into the drivers field of view, should this become a factor in the future.

Reply to
QX

My 89+ mother-in-law loved our Outback. She found it easy to get in and out of and liked the ride. The Forester may be a little bumpier.

Al

Reply to
Al

It is *much* easier for anyone who is mobility-impaired, as are many elderly people, to get into and out of a Forester or other high-clearance vehicle than into and out of a normal passenger car. Not having to sit down as far, and particularly not having to stand up as much, makes life a lot easier.

It is also much easier to transfer someone from a wheelchair into a Forester or other high-clearance vehicle than into a normal passenger car.

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson

My wife has arthritus, and gets in/out or the Forrester pretty well. (We also had a Taurus previously.)

Bottom line: try one before you buy!

Reply to
Paul Knudsen