Coolant Leak - Revisted

Previously, I posted about a coolant leak on an '02 Subaru Imprezia Outback Sport. Here's what I wrote in December: ---

During the prolonged cold spell here in the northern plains, I started noticing the sweet smell of burning coolant briefly when running the cabin heat at idle. Underway, the smell disappears. This was of great concern since the last Subaru I owned (an '85) cracked a head and oil infiltrated the coolant system. The symptoms were similar -- except this time there was no oil visible in the reservoir.

I started checking under the car and noticed a small spot of coolant, perhaps about 50 ml of coolant, directly under the engine after it sat overnight. Thinking pump failure, I took it into the mechanic who said the pump needed to be replaced.

The car is a 2002 Subaru Imprezia Outback Sport -- the mini Outback wagon. I've only got about 36k miles on it. Has anyone else had issues with their water pump on this model? It seemed quite premature for the pump to crap out like that.

Reply to
nhopper

Edward Hayes

Like many water pumps these days, the labor is probably essentially the same as replacing the timing belt.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The dealer here in Kirkland, WA told me that water pumps start going at 175K miles on the average.

Reply to
Jim L

No, I've not found a source for that. Any suggestions on where to purchase this? Like an auto parts retailer with nationwide stores?

Reply to
nhopper

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I hate to reply to myself, but here's the final word. Brought the car into the Subaru dealer. They found the driver's side head gasket leaking. It had to be replaced. Luckily, the car was under warranty, since the powertrain has a 60k mile warranty. I only have about 38.5k miles on the car. Otherwise, that repair would bankrupt me.

Brought the car in at 9:30 am, done this p.m. Very handy.

In checking the recall list, my VIN was just outside of the "affected VIN" range on the head gasket leaks for the recall notification. Moral of the story: take your car to a Subaru dealer and fix the problem straightaway. Unfortunately, this had a huge cost to me since I didn't do this immediately. After talking with the mechanic, he told me a story about how he's seen this on other Subarus of a similar year and model, some advancing to the point of a savage coolant exsanguination.

Reply to
nhopper

Don't have to apologize for giving us such important info. The next guy with those indications will have the benefit of your experience. Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee