Oil Leak in 1999 Subaru Outback Sport with the 2.5 Liter Engine

I have a Outback Sport 1999 with a 2.5 liter engine with 62,000 miles on it. It has been having a burning smell and smoke after operating it. It smells like oil. My friend says it is a leaking oil gasket and and that many Subaru engines have it. Is this true and if so what should I do about it? It seems to slowly be getting worse. I just had my 60,000 mile checkup at the Subaru dealer and they said the car was fine.

Reply to
Richard

Yes.

and if so what should I do about it?

Remove the oil pump, loctite the 5 screws on it's backplate, replace the o-ring and reinstall.

It probably is.

I just had my 60,000 mile checkup at the

It probably was.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks for the information. Just one more question if I may. If I get Subaru to do it for me what should I expect to pay?

Reply to
Richard

I don't know. I did mine myself. The actual repair is trivial. Getting to the oil pump is not. Probably

3-4 hours labor and $20 in parts. I forgot to mention that the crankshaft seal needs to be replaced as it is what's actually leaking.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Edward Hayes