CV-joints gone after 95K miles?

It does not seem right - my wifes 2002 Impreza TS 2.5 needs a pair of new CV-joints. The specific sound while turning started coming up at about 90K miles, now 5K later is quite strong.

Any comments why their are gone so fast?

Thx, A.

Reply to
AndyL

Just a seqence of failures. First the boots cracked. Then the grease was expelled. Then the joints failed. My Legacy with 175K still has the original axles but the boots have been replaced 3 times. Whenever I notice one boot has failed I just replace all 4.

Reply to
johninKY

Torn boots that have let the grease out, and contaminants in?

That can happen at nine miles.

Reply to
CompUser

I lost a boot sooner then that in a Ford Probe GT i had. Didnt have the money to fix it right away. By the time i got to it, had to replace the whole axel.

Reply to
Mike

Exactly. The *only* warranty work I ever needed on my '99 Outback was a new boot at 19k miles. Joints are still fine at 124k.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have been to Subaru. They say the part might be sold only as whole axle, no CV-joint itself for $259 a piece.

Some hope in regenerating them, The Chicago shop wants $60 for one and it does it on the spot (1-h waiting time).

Which way to go less or more $?

alf (ex. AndyL, trying out my nick from the University ;-)

Reply to
alf