dashboard lights question

I noticed at dark tonight that there is no backlight near the heater or hazard button. This is the first time I have drove the 1998 Subaru Legacy SW in the dark in several weeks (bought it used this summer). Since I can't remember, is there is backlight that lights all the heater area and the hazard button, or is it just plain dark. Only the hot/cold button (green or amber light) works in the heater area. If there is a backlight, is it a bulb gone or a fuse out??? Also, the stick shift light was not working but I tapped the stick shift and the backlight went back on in that area. Any information appreciated.

Reply to
snow

These controls as well as the light for the radio's display are famous for going out and I think they are wired in such a way that if one goes the remaining ones receive greater voltage and go sooner. They are easy to replace though. Details can be found in the archives. TG

Reply to
TG

I am having the same problem with the lights on my 97 GT. Found this web site in another group that explains how to replace the lights.

Hope it helps.

Manny

Reply to
Manny Ramos

I just buy 60MW 12 volt bulbs at radio shack and solder them directly into the hole in the circuit board where the standard lamp goes. Many times cheaper and they last longer. TG

TG

I have a 99 OBW. The bulbs that backlight the seat warmer buttons on the center console are burned out. Is it possible to also replace these bulbs?

Reply to
L. Kreh

Yes, they are the same bulbs that we complain about in the dash. Each switch has two bulbs, one to light the switch so you can see it at night and one to indicate "on". TG

Reply to
TG