Downsides to the 2003 3.0L 6cyl?

Have a line on an '03 outback with the 6- any known problems?

What gas mileage compared to the 2.5?

Thanks-

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I have a '05 outback with the 6 and have had zero problems. It's much quieter and smoother than the 2.5. No complaints.

Hard to tell. Seems about the same, but I don't have any hard numbers.

Maybe a bit poorer around town, but no difference on the road.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

We had the A/C suction and discharge hoses replaced due to leakage of refrigerant.

that's all I recall.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The H6 has a chain (no maint) and I hear pretty low #s for city driving, but good highway numbers, the faster the better the mileage seems to get.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Go for it. I have a 2001 with a 4 and had the head gasket issues the

4 is known for. Otherwise, they're fab vehicles.

If it's due for a timing belt or coolant work take it to a dealer or someone with Subaru experience who knows the problems with OEM tensioners (and can try an aftermarket one), and the burping procedure for replacing the coolant.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Does any of the newer Subies have timimg belt???

Reply to
number 9

All the 4 cylinders.

check