engine knock on 98 Legacy

I own a 1998 Subaru Legacy wagon with the 2.2 liter motor, automatic. Recently I noticed a slight engine knock/tap sound mainly first 10 minutes
of driving when driving aound town. Not major loud at all but you can here it up front slightly. Disappears after car warms up. I read somewhere this is a common issue for this model and may not effect engine wear. It has 136,000 troublefree miles on it. Any information appreciated and if others have this issue.
snow wrote:

Could be one of these ; piston slap, timing belt slap (this will cause 'rub' marks on the inside of the TB cover)and/or maybe the TB tensioner.
Of course there are other possibilities.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)