How do I know which engine I have?

I have a '97 Outback with an automatic transmission. How do I know whether I have the 2.5 engine?

Reply to
Sheldon

You have the 2.5. Easy enough to verify. Look around the alternator and you should find EJ2.5 casted into the engine block.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Reply to
Sheldon

I have a 99 Outback Sport. It say EJ2.2. I assume that means I have the 2.2 liter engine. Thanks for the information.

Reply to
Richard

You're lucky. :-) I used to own a 1998 Outback Sport that had this engine, owned it for seven years and drove it over 130,000 miles before someone ran into it while my husband was driving it, and totalled the car. (It was at around 165,000 miles at the time.) My insurance company gave me a nice settlement largely because the engine was both undamaged in the accident and was in such superb shape.

The adjuster told me the engine appeared much newer to her, and asked me if I'd ever had the gaskets replaced or other major engine work done. I hadn't; just done regular oil changes and tune-ups.

I also drove that car hard. Although it looked like a slightly sporty Japanese hatchback, it had the superb Subaru AWD, a beefed-up suspension, and was designed to handle off-road conditions as well as roads. It had been all over the back roads in the central Sierras, Coastal range, and Transverse ranges in California, and much of the Mojave and Colorado deserts as well.

I now have a '99 Forester, also a good car. But that 1998 Outback Sport accelerated better (although the engine was smaller), and could handle off-road conditions almost as bad as the Forester can. It was the best car I'd ever owned.

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson