Engine Oil Overfill - Unfortunately it happened to me.

I have a 2001 Legacy Outback with 69K healthy and fun-filled miles and a week ago some ignorant mechanic at a local dealership overfilled my engine oil. I mean overfill by substantial amount - the oil level was indicating at least 4 inches above the normal high line. Unfortunately or fortunately, I noticed it after driving about 120 miles - 3 days later (not continuously though). The first symptom was that when I started the car there was the initial puff of bluish smoke and then there was persistent burnt oil smell in my vent and finally, I noticed oil dripping at the bottom. Not sure where it was coming from but it was leaking. The next day I took it back to the dealer, who after acknowledging that it was their mistake, promptly refilled the oil to the correct level and also in the process, it seems, replaced air filter and cleaned the air intake manifold (as it was wet with oil etc....). Suspecting that some gasket must be shot, I had them degrease the underside of the whole engine and idle it for 20 minutes, while it was still on the lift. Luckily there were no further visible leaks, at least to my eyes.

My questions to the Outback fan club is

a) What damage could it have done - that I haven't yet come across b) I still smells some burnt oil from the dashboard vent, whenever I am stopped at a traffic light - I could not find any visible trace of oil leak - Could it be from the oil that got splashed in during the overfill and the cleaning they did wasn't enough? c) I have captured the incident in a detailed letter to the dealer and am thinking of sending a copy to the Subaru Corp. of America, Customer Service... Should I do anything else more...

Thanks,

Anil

Reply to
Anil Mankame

Edward Hayes

If it is severely overfull, it's possible the oil came squirting out of the dipstick opening. Check to see it's physical proximity to the air filter/intake to see if it is logical that it got in there that way.

You didn't start smelling oil when you were driving 120 miles?

Could be, oil is sticky and it takes very little to make a smell.

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

Thanks for your reply. My updates below....

--- No, oil did not come out of the dipstick tube - If it did, it would have been an easy find for me. The whole engine underside was wet -

--- I ignored the initial smell thinking that it's normal to smell oil right after an oil change, which generally disappears - gradually though- over the next few days. What caught my attention was the persistent intensity of smell, which did not decrease, as it should have over the next day or so.

--- Also, my 120 miles were a) 20 miles back from the dealer to home b) To and fro - from work 50 miles each way

Reply to
Anil Mankame

Basically the dealer dumped 4 add'l quarts into my OB98 as well. The smoke was white - not blue and at first the "experienced" mechanic said a blown head gasket. Service advisor wasn't convinced so he checked and he discovered the extra oil - they dumped it and refilled. I had to ask them to check the PCV (cleaned) and Air filter (ok). They did put it on the service ticket and were more confused/harried than anything else.

Car was still puffing white smoke so I left it for Monday when they will have more mechanics and a manger available.

Problem complicated by 100mi trip to the dealer!

Reply to
uncleharpoon

White smoke is coolant in a cylinder. Are you sure the head gaskets are OK? Can you smell anti-freeze in the white smoke? That would clinch it.

Reply to
Ben Green

At this point I'm watching the overflow tank like a hawk, as in masking tape, grease pencil, log book and digital camera.

The dipstick shows no oil being burned.

BUT.. the coolant level drops in the overflow tank and there is a slightly sweet smell when the car comes in hot. I've heard that Subaru in really hot weather tends to be stressed... .and we are in South Texas... No smoke is visible out the tail pipe, nor is there any abnormal smell there - just the engine compartment. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
uncleharpoon

I don't see a connection with oil overfull & coolant drop in reservoir. What kind of drop are you talking about? I do know mine changes level from overnight cold to a warm engine level. My OF tank probably drops about 1 inch in 4 months (40 cc?) when cold checking.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Yes; what kind of vehicle are you running?

There is a superseded part for the large radiator hose in the STi. The 'old' one has a sleeve on it and rubs up against the hot metal one on the top of the radiator. Depending on your driving style and the roughness of the roads in your area, this can generate a small hole which can leak. The design of the metal tube draws this downward towards the electrically-drive, thermostatically-controlled radiator fan and can atomise it practically invisibly inside your engine compartment.

The superseding part is shorter, doesn't have an additional sleeve (which apparently was for protection of the large hose) and doesn't appear to be affected by the same issue.

Reply to
k. ote