fargers punched me lock in the Forester

had a break-in in our building the night before xmas ... they punched a bunch of locks including our Forester ... bent the door but could not get into the car ... fargen bastards now i have to repair the freagan lock and door ... will cost me $400 excess ... also took my freagan mountain bike ... this sucks!!!

anyone know whats involved in replacing the door lock in a Forester?

Reply to
coaster

Pulled a few in various car models and basically all seemed pretty much the same. Start by removing the door panel. Should be able to take it from there once you can see how it is retained. Probably just a clip that can be removed with a screwdriver.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Can't be too hard to replace the lock. Be looking at, pricing what this lock would cost and getting some clues to DIY before involving insurance scum.

Al

Reply to
Albm&ctd

where can i find a DIY removal of the door panel and lock? thanks!

Reply to
coaster

if the door is damaged, as they usually are(had it done to me a few years ago) it's gonna cost more than $400 to fix anyway isn't it?

just let the insurance fix it

Kev

Reply to
Kev

the outer skin is very slightly bent i am hoping to right it once i get to the lock from inside ... a new lock is $38 AUD and dealer charges one hour labour ($90) ... so its hardly worth the insurance claim ... i am hoping to change the lock myself

Reply to
coaster

Would ins cover the bike as well? Otherwise you're right - it's probably worth diy *if* you reckon you can get the door truly straight.

Liberty used a split clip that would slide off ok, so I guess Forester is much the same - but it can be one of those jobs where the car demands a small knuckle sacrifice before it will co-operate :)

Sorry to hear about and good luck with the fix. Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

Now you are thinking. A workshop manual can be your friend. I recently bought the genuine one for the missus pintara 'cause the Gregorys one was farkin hopeless. Maybe you can get onto some forum for your vehicle and get some clues or just go to the dealer or mechanic and save heaps off the insurance scum.

Al

Reply to
Albm&ctd

Might just add, panel beaters deal with this kind of thing all the time, if you want to get the slight bend out properly. A quote doesn't cost anything usually and you could supply the lock if the quote was acceptable. As long as you were under the insurance scum's excess you save some money.. and that's what it's about right? Depends on whether the slight bend is a problem to you or is bad enough to prevent the lock doing it's function if you DIY.

Al

Reply to
Albm&ctd