Love Our New 2004 Forester, but...

Just got a new 2004 Forester here in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. This is the second one added to our 1999 Forester. We got the X model in Blue. Very nice car.

But we are still getting used to the remote locking system. Noticed that there is no key slot on the passenger side. The other night my wife couldn't find the driver side button to open the locks. It is not lighted and should be. I pulled out my remote and hit the button. The car was running and the remote open would not work. A safety feature I guess. My wife was getting frustrated. Finally, she turned on the map light to see the all door lock release on the drivers side. If she might not have found that I would have had to use the key on the drivers door to enter the car. What is suppose to be a convenient lock and safety system was a real headache for a time. I suppose once one gets familiar with the location of the drivers side lock release, opening the door locks will be second nature. During the learning curve, however, it is a real pain. I suppose the drivers side lock release is lighted in the XS version ; - )??

Other than the lock pain, this car is wonderful. We got the auto trany after both of us driving sticks for the past 20 years. What a joy now to not have to shift in traffic. And the autos of today are very solid shifters. The 1999 is a stick and it does have the slight cold chatter problem although I am driving that car mostly now and have adapted to its little challenge. I can really tell too the diference in the more solid and stable suspension of the 2004. Can't wait for five or more years to pass and trade in the 1999 for the 2009 Forester.

Don't hesitate to buy a 2004 Forester. They are great vehicles!

Cheers,

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Knoll

Saw a spot about car theft on television the other day that mentioned many manufacturers are moving to no key slot on the passenger side in an effort to reduce auto theft.

In North America, since we park on the right side of the street (assuming it is a 2way street), the thief has to try and jimmy the door lock in full view of traffic (driver's side), rather then having the bulk of the vehicle blocking the view of his crime...

Reply to
Rory

The lock switch is in the same place on my '03 Forester XS Premium as it is in my '00 Legacy GT: On the driver's side door above the window switches. Just gotta get used to it.

No, it's not lighted on the XS or premium, although the window switches are, gotta go from there.

Enjoy your new Suby! ~J

Reply to
Jason

I own a 2003 OBW, but I rented a Forester in Oregon last weekend and was amazed by the fact that the only key-operated lock on the entire car (at least that I could see) was on the driver's door. I must have spent five minutes looking for the lock on the rear hatch before giving up. The rental did not come with the remote, so it made opening up the rear hatch, etc., a bit of a process.

Reply to
Brian Wasson

After a few days/weeks/months, you and your wife will know the switch by touch. It has a "bump" for lock and a "dip" for unlock. Anymore, I find it without hesitation.

I have a '03 XS with premium. Like it more & more everyday!

James '03 Subaru Forester XS-P '03 Infiniti FX35 Santa Fe, New Mexico

Reply to
James

Ooops! It's a "dip" for lock, "bump" for unlock. Just like the keyless remote.

James '03 Subaru Forester XS-P '03 Infiniti FX35/AWD/Tech Santa Fe, New Mexico

Reply to
James