Fifth Gear Shootout: Volkswagen Golf GTi versus Subaru Impreza WRX

British TV show Fifth Gear in yesterday's episode did a track comparision between a Volkswagen Golf GTi and Subaru Impreza WRX

[Spoiler space]

Despite the Golf GTI having less power, only front wheel drive and not even being very well considered as a track car, the Subaru was "nearly 2 seconds slower" :( *

Ok, we already knew that the 2008 WRX is not supposed to be very sporty. Let's see when the STI (and the EVO X) arrive in Europe and Top Gear and Fifth Gear compare those. Or maybe we won't have to wait that long. The guys from Top Gear went to Japan recently or will be going shortly filming for the summer series . It is not know what they drove there, (Nissan GT ?) but I would really like if they drove the STI and the EVO.

BTW, Vicki Butler-Henderson is a racing driver:

  • I just remembered that the French magazine "Motorsport" recently tested the WRX and IIRC it was a comparision with the most sporty Renault Megane (the R26, 230 HP, IIRC). In a short circuit the difference was even greater (4 seconds ? I don't have the magazine here). But of course that Renault has a very hard suspension that works on the track, but not necessarily on the road (or on a rally special stage :).
Reply to
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

How disappointing.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

**VBH is one of the reasons why I taught myself to drive standard at almost 40 years old. The late SpeedTV (now Fox 2 - Even More Reality Crap) started showing some Fifth Gear a few years ago. I saw Vicki driving an Alfa Romeo 156 GTA and I thought she was just awesome. Driving fast seemed to be so second nature to her. My sister was learning to drive standard also as she was going to purchase a BMW wagon (and track it at Lime Rock!). She was insisting that I should learn. I traded in my 2003 VW Jetta 2.0 for a 2003 Jetta 1.8T 5M and taught myself. One of the reasons I have an Impreza now is because it was easy to get a five speed aside from the AWD bonus (also I wanted to grab an 05 model because I liked how it looked) :)

Other than that, I'm not sure I'm that surprised at the results of the shootout for some reason. I certainly like both cars though.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom