Oddest object found in a car.

Dunno if we;v done this here before.

Many of us have owned, traded or worked on quite a few cars.

I once saw a mushroom growing in the rear floorboard of my sister's car. I THINK one of her friends had tromped on some food or spilled a milkshake back there in the past. Then one spring she left the windows down during the rain. After a day or 2 there was a friggen tall skinny musroom growing up outta the carpet!

One of my first cars was a '64 Rambler that had been used for newspaper delivery. The first fall when I turned on the defroster I got a face-full of rubber bands!

what have you found?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

My older sister had an 80's Firebird SE at one point. I think it was early spring/late winter and I recall her pulling up and her car started meowing.

We quickly found her cat from her place across town.... tucked neatly into a small cavity and ledge in the front passenger quarter panel, above and forward of the wheelwell. Apparently his warm little near-the-engine hiding space during the cool weather became quite an adventure that day.

That cat was freaked the hell out.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

A small rabbit.I opened the hood of a small truck with no extra features and there was a small rabbit sitting on the fenderwell below the master cylender. I called my friend Craig over to show him, we always show each other the weird things you find. He looked and jumped! he wasn't expecting that. We caught the rabbit and put him in a box for his ride home. Interesting is the dog food or nuts we occasionally find in the air filter area, the last one was over 2 gallons of filbert (hazle) nuts

Steve

Reply to
StephenW

Delicious thread, Carl!

My first car was a used Nash sedan, about 1950, notorious for having front seats that would lie back all the way, making a perfect bedroom away from home.

The previous owner must have made some appropriate use of this feature, because I found a brassiere in the car soon after acquiring it. What was strange, however, was that the brassiere was in the engine compartment behind the radiator! Go figure --

Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

Funny thread, Carl!

I can't compete..but along the animal theme... I was getting small pieces of fluff blowing about with the heater fan in my Loyale... investigation found a large nest of mice in a nook in the back of the car.

My mechanic always did complain that I didn't keep the car clean enough, and what with my kids dropping food all over the place..

Cheers! Fred Boer

Reply to
Fred Boer

$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com...

Reply to
suburboturbo

$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com...

A buddy of mine was contemplating the purchase of a battered 69 Camaro as a parts car for one he was rebuilding. The owner was using it not only as a daily driver, but apparently for storing his, ahem, personal items. Checking the wiring harness above the front wheelwell, he cam across a plastic box that had been clevery alongside a relay. Wondering the purpose of this odd appendage, which matched the relay housing and appeared perfectly normal, just out of place to someone who knew what to expect in the electrical system, my friend opened it to find a plastic baggie containing a substantial amount of a crystalline white powder. With no hesitation, guilt or embarrassment, the owner said, "Oh, that doesn't come with the car". But he did offer him a toot. My friend though given to partying on occasion (this was back in the 1970's) declined, not sure of exactly what he was being offered. But he did buy the car and got a good price.

Reply to
suburboturbo

Well, in my first car, a lovely cream colored '77 Plymouth Volarie with the optional vinyl top, I once found a man in a parking garage going through my ashtray for loose coin. He didn't notice me so I just waited patiently for a minute while he finished up and went on his way, then got in and drove home. Does that count?

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

We once found a wasp's nest in the engine of my mom's chevy vega.

Found a 100 yen coin in my dad's Subaru GL.

THe strangest thing I personally have found in my car was in my '98 Legacy. I found $4.35 in change.

Not strange, you say?

It was inside the CD player.

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

Heh. Nah, not strange. So how old was the young boy who put it there?

Feeding inappropriate items to AV components is a right of passage for boys it seems. Happily, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches don't fit as easily into DVD players as they once did to VHS VCR's.

Reply to
Todd H.

LOL, wonder if it was a temporary fan belt??

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Perhaps the breast they could do in a pinch.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Nice one Carl!

'80 Toyota Tercel had rear ashtray compartments that would pop-out from the trim allowing access into the rear quarter panels. On one side I found a bottle of Jack Daniels, one the other, 9 cans of Bud. Would've been an interesting scene with The Fuzz had I ever been hit in either panel.

'79 Cutlass had a bag of, er, "oregano" under the rear seat. I went looking for the build sheet and got the bonus prize. Kinda funny considering I bought the car from a daddy's little girl. I could tell there was a reason why daddy was selling it

Reply to
John

How about a scared stiff year old Tonkinese kitten sitting on the transmission of a 1999 New Yorker that just came off the Hwy 401 after a 70 mile drive? We still have the little darling.

Or how about a can of beer inside the tire of a brand new car. Had a real bad shake that just would NOT balance out.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Carl 1 Lucky Texan Mar 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM

About 20 years ago I bought a Mini for $A150 from one of the guys I worked with who was selling it for his ex wife. Running well but needed paint & a good clean inside. So when I took out the seats and stripped the trim and carpets, I found somewhere between $A250 and $A300 in coins. Who says cars can't be an investment? :)

BTW, I did offer to return it but was told no and 'good luck to you'. Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

THe only "strange" part was that the Carfax report said that the vehicle's previous life had been as a fleet vehicle. That's kind of a lot of change for dad not to notice junior stuffing into the CD player of his*work* car.

Hey! Who told you how my parents' first top-loading betamax machine died?

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

Back in 1975 my friend and I split the cost of a 1963 Corvair for the $35 it was costing the widow of the previous owner to keep it in her apartment lot each month. Aside from an assortment of dents and a little rust, it seemed to be in decent shape, but didn't run and was a total stripper, I mean the car didn't have a radio (the plate that covered the empty slot in the dash is probably worth a lot today), no carpet (just some sort of molded vinyl that had warped and cracked) and no back-up lights, just what looked like tin can lids. Was also missing its gas filler cap, but that wasn't a Chevy decision. The previous owner apparently lost his (gas cap, and maybe mind) and molded what looked like a baloney sandwich into a plug to keep the fumes in and critters out. Cleaning the mystery meat and wonder bread out of the fuel lines and carbs made the rebuild a tedious job. Eventually got the engine (80 hp base model) running, but decided it was too good for the car. I think my friend's still got it stashed away in a corner of his garage.

Reply to
suburboturbo

A frined of mine once attempted repair of our first VHS player. He found about 1/2 a piece of buttered toast. He said it was more like a big crouton actually. My oldest daughter had inserted it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I had a maple tree growing in the space in the fender where it meets the front of the door. The thing got to 6" before it finally whithered away...

As far as rubber bands, I always kept mine on the seat next to me. The damn things are all over the floor and the seats, but none in the heating system!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Must have made the thing pretty heavy!

Reply to