Forester 99 spurts

Hello, everybody,

As I just bought 99 Forester S (62K miles) and this is my first experience with AWD, I don't know what is normal with it and what is not. The problem is: after coming to a complete stop and then releasing the brakes the car don't start moving as auto transmission sedans do, it can even roll back if on an ascent. To get it moving I should apply accelerator very gently or the car surges forward with a spurt. Is it as it should be? If not, what is most likely causing the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Johnswort