Forester AWD question

I'm considering getting a used Forester, 2001-2002 vintage, almost certainly a manual. As I understand it, the manual trans and auto trans have different AWD systems. My question is

are both models "true" AWD all the time with a central differential action thats progressively locked up depending on F/R slip, or mainly FWD with AWD kicking when when needed?

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

The manual has a Viscous Locking Center Differential. If one axle slips 'enough' the CD will lock into 50/50 power distrubution. The auto-trannies are capable of variable distribution with the 'duty solenoid C'. I think the 'corporate' Subaru website, and probably the Endwrench website will also have explanations. I dunno if the Forester has a limited slip rear diff or not. If you anticipate regular use on slippery services, a rear LSD would be very nice to have. The STI has a different tranny from either the above, BTW.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Auto trans is 90 FWD/10 RWD until it senses slippage.

Manual trans is 50/50 until slippage.

Manual is much more fun to drive.

Reply to
Ragnar

What the Sube site showed for the manual was, 50/50 till slippage, and then it could go 100/0 either way. They don't say it could go anyplace in between, but would think it could.

VF

Reply to
houndman

The non-STI manual behaves like an open diff until there is 'some' slippage of an axle. The slippage causes the viscous coupling to lock the differential. While the diff is locked 50% of the power is at the front axle and 50% is at the back axle. What happens to various wheels depends on the type diff on the axle and slippage of individual wheels.

to research equipment on various models of Subarus, try;

also, here's a fun old video about differentials(it gets better after the intro stuff);

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan