AWD on Evo vs Impreza

My understanding is that EVO is normally FWD until the front wheels start to slip. Is there an good writeup on the system used in EVO and how it compares to that in MT Subarus? Thank you!

Reply to
Body Roll

Your understanding is wrong: the "AWD" system you describe is fitted to the Chrysler minivans and some others. The EVO is AWD all the time. The centre differential is possibly a Torsen type (this may be the rally versions), but in any case there's a controlled lock up system front to rear. The front diff is a viscous locking type, and the rear diff has a set of very large clutches that use some sort of progressive active control system.

Its a development (evolution...) of the AWD system fitted the EVO

2,3,4 and Eclipse/Talon AWD, Summit Wagon AWD and the current Outlander SUV. This system uses an open front diff, center diff with a viscous coupler to progressively lock automatically, and the rear diff is open, optionally and preferably with a viscous coupler.

The Imprezza uses a similar type system to the EVO, and is also full time AWD. Subaru have at least three types of AWD system, depending on the model (eg Imprezza/Outback vs WRX) and automatic vs manual.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Ok, so what's the default power/torque split maintained by CD between the front/rear axles? Any good writeup how does EVO feel on snow with snow tires or at least four seasons?

Reply to
Body Roll

In the EVO and Eclipse/Talon/Expo (W5M33 trans) /Outlander (W5M44 trans), the F/R diffs have the same ratio, and the split is nominally 50/50. Early model AWD Expos ('92 with 1.8L engine) had a W5M31 with a F/R:65/35 split.

The Subaru systems are also nominally 50/50.

Other systems, eg the Honda Odessey has different front and rear diff ratios, and the system is either FWD on smooth roads, and approx F/R: 60/40 when the rear diff is fully locked.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Odyssey doesn't have an AWD or does it? I thought only CRV has. Anyhow, I don't understand why Mitsubishi keeps the fact that EVO has a decent AWD system to themselves instead of agressively marketing it as symmetric AWD. Subaru was making a fuss about their (very good indeed) system for quite a while. Maybe it's because Mistubishi has no problem selling EVOs?

Reply to
Body Roll

It's pretty well understood that the EVO is an all wheel drive. Subaru hypes the AWD because AWD is what they have and their marketing weasels attempt to distiguish the brand in the market. The only Impreza that is comparable to the EVO is the Sti. The WRX, is not in the same club (We own one.) I have yet to drive an EVO but have a great deal of experience with it's little brother the Eclipse and can say in foul weather and snow the car is a blast. The EVO differs mostly in it's selectable center diff; the Eclipse is a fixed 50/50 split. If you ever plan on modding the car, the EVO is the clear winner as Imprezas are a bitch to work on!

Reply to
simpleton

Yes, of course I meant CRV. Had Odyssey on the brain for some reason.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

The plan is to get an EVO, so that I won't have to do ANYTHING to it. As opposed to getting an WRX, mod it with an abundance of STi suspension parts floating on ebay just to be left with the same shitty 5sp transmission and brakes. I guess I'm getting hard to please :-(

Reply to
Body Roll

I'd still mod the thing....As delivered the EVO is very much a de-tuned car. Once tweaked, it's a very powerful auto. Sub 4 second 0 to 60 times are pretty easy.

Reply to
simpleton

No amount of tweaking would shed 1000 pounds of an EVO. With that in mind Elise would kick my ass on a twisty roadcorse anytime. And even if I were to tweak evo to go fast in a straight line there is some really expensive eurometal to kick my ass anyway. So I think I'll stick with a stock evo if I ever going to get one if that makes any sense.

Reply to
Body Roll

"No amount of tweaking would shed 1000 pounds of an EVO. With that in mind Elise would kick my ass on a twisty roadcorse anytime. And even if I were to tweak evo to go fast in a straight line there is some really expensive eurometal to kick my ass anyway. So I think I'll stick with a stock evo if I ever going to get one if that makes any sense."

The Elise is cool but painfully underpowered; I've driven them on the street. On a track that didn't have too much in the way of straights, the Elise would have an advantage but on the street an EVO would own it. I don't think your really up to speed with what a mildly tweaked EVO can do. Think giant killer.....

simpleton

There are some very twisty little passages over here. Sometimes they are dry if sandy. Lotuses rip thru thou twisties at amazing speeds. I could not keep up.

Reply to
Body Roll