forester gear hesitation

when shifting our 99 forester (automatic) from reverse into drive there's a couple second "hesitation" until the gear kicks in... often resulting in a bit of a jerk since i've already started applying gas. in general, i guess the transmission feels "loose".

any thoughts what could be the culprit... torque converter was one suggestion.

thanks in advance.

Reply to
gordonjones

We have a 2000 Forester with 50,000 miles, which was showing same symptoms ( and would shift hard from 1st to 2nd also). Transmission fluid was low, so I had it flushed and filter changed. Has been running fine since. I suspect the biggest culprit was the low fluid, but the flush and filter change improved the problem also.

Reply to
DAW

Do others also recommend having their auto trayys flushed? I've heard it can be harmful. LT

Reply to
LT