Latest fix for ES300 hesitation/lag - opinions?

I got the amended fix for the 02-04 ES300 hesitation problem. It is an update to TSB TC004 (now called TC004-03). I've been driving with it for about two weeks. The fix directly addresses my major complaints of slow acceleration from a stop or when rolling at slow speed and needing to accelerate quickly (the "slow roll" problem). The fix significantly improves acceleration under these conditions. It feels like the 800 pound gorilla has been removed from my trunk.

However, the downshifts are very abrupt under some circumstances. I especially notice this when leaving a school zone after cruising at

20mph and then pressing down a tad more when the zone ends. The car jerks into the lower gear in preparation for rapid acceleration, even though that's not my plan. If I press the accelerator much more slowly, I can avoid the jack-rabbit jerks, but I have to press more lightly than I would expect to. Anyway, I am overall pretty pleased with the fix. Despite the abrupt shifting in some cases, I would rather it do that than not respond quickly to a call for power when I need it. I had a '97 ES and it had a super smooth transmission that shifted effortlessly. I miss that in my '03, but at least it is more drivable and predictable now with the new fix.

Has anybody else gotten the fix? What are your thoughts?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I haven't gotten the fix, didn't even know there was another update to the original "fix". I'll inquire at my dealership, and I'll have it installed if it is available. I'll post my results. BTW, I have a 2002 ES300.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1

My '02 ES300 is in the shop today getting the new ECU programming...fingers crossed...

Reply to
Steve Larson

Don't get your hopes up. Sounds like another band-aid to me.

Reply to
David Z

I had my '02 in a few weeks ago and complained about the shifting/hesitation (I mention that complaint EVERY time I'm there, just for the record).

When I picked up the car they told me the usual - "We cleared the memory on the trans for you. Try driving a little more aggressively, and it might be better".

They never mentioned a new TSB. I'm curious about your assessment of the new "fix" Steve.

Reply to
njbok

no more curious than I am. Picking it up in the morning. Figure I'll give it a month or so to break in. Each time I have it in for oil change, I tell them to reset the computer also. That helps for a few weeks, but then it's back to the normal hesitation. I'll post my results sometime in June.

Reply to
Steve Larson

thought I would drop an early post. Initial experience with the new ECU program is good. No hesitation to speak of through slow turns and takeoffs. Highway driving was responsive on lane change accelerations. No issues in local and lower speed driving. Granted, each time I have an oil change, I have them reset the computer and it behaves well for a little while. I'm hoping the changes are permanent this time.

If any Lexus dealership tells you there is no new software out for the

2002-2004 ES300/330 hesitation, they are mistaken. I don't know the release date, but this is definitely the 2nd update fix for the ES 2002+ ECU. The service ticket says: PERFORM UPDATED TSB FOR TRANSMISSION SHIFTING UPDATED DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE PERFORMED TSIB TC004-03

If your dealership can't find the fix in the computer, then they are incompetent at their job, and you need to be more persistent. I should note that I received a letter in the mail from Lexus when the first "fix" was introduced. I received no letter or notification of any kind this time. I would also guess that Toyota/Lexus hasn't really been announcing it to the dealerships either. My guess is that Toyota is too busy supporting the launch of the new hybrid Toyota and Lexus vehicles, and this fix was just quietly made available. Fortunately Dave posted his experience, which prompted me to inquire at my dealership.

Reply to
Steve Larson