Forester Maintenance $$$ ?

Hi I am comparing a 2004 Forester (XS) with a Honda CRV...

Interested to find out current owners' experience with post-warranty maintenance expenses? My mechanic strongly suggests me not to pursue Forester as:

- spares are harder to find (as compared with CRV)

- high costs

- high wear-out on brakes and tires...(partly due to AWD)

Any comments/advice?

Thnks...

will bc canada

Reply to
yvrwfc

Well, I've had a 1999 Forester for 3 years and now my second 2002 Forester S for just over a year. Went on several vacations in both vehicles, lots of city driving and never replaced any beake parts or tires. Mintenance on both vehicles were regular oil changes & scheduled miles. Never a problem for me, no major repiars of any kind.

As far as spares harder to find it's a full size standard tire right ?

Those are non-issues. Uf you compare the safty and overall quality the Forester is always on top, My 2 cents.

Reply to
Mike Snyir

Yes, find another mechanic. That one is telling you a lot different than mine did. Mine recommends Foresters and Outbox highly as "cast iron" and rarely need any work. Of course, he's a long-time friend and is more interested in keeping a customer than generating repair business. (He's too darned busy, anyway.) No fooling, ask yourself why a mechanic would advise you NOT to buy a particular car if it were HIGH-maintenance, or LOW-maintenance.

Reply to
laro

I haven't had my Forester long enough to comment on maintenance, but if you consider safety important the Forester is a MUCH safer vehicle in a collision.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan