Gas Smell on 97 Outback

I have a 97 Outback with 120K miles.

When I fill the car up with gas I can smell gas vapors for a few days. The smell goes away after a few days. This happens in all weather and can be smelled when standing next to the car. I don?t see any gas leakage under the car.

The gas milege is only 18 - 19 mpg mixed driving which seems a little low.

Any ideas of what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Lar

Reply to
Lar

"Lar" wrote: > I have a 97 Outback with 120K miles. > > When I fill the car up with gas I can smell gas vapors for a > few days. The smell goes away after a few days. This happens > in all weather and can be smelled when standing next to the > car. I don't see any gas leakage under the car. > > The gas milege is only 18 - 19 mpg mixed driving which seems > a little low. > > Any ideas of what the problem might be? > > Thanks, > > Lar

follow your nose. could be a fuel line leak att the tank end or in the engine bay. I know that some fuels melt fuel lines if the benzene content is too high. A problem new zealand fuel had when they switched to unleaded. keep in mind that these vapours can lead to liver and pancreas cancer if you breathe them so dont leave this fault too long. another fault I?ve found on subarus is a rotten egg smell if run on 91 octane.

Reply to
vaestanfors

I THINK I recall reading about cracked vapor recovery canister or purge valve connections for this year model occuring. Though I might expect it to throw a CEL, maybe it isn't leaking badly enough. Check vapor recovery system.

Carl

Lar wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi Lar,

I had a similar problem with my Outback Wagon l997. I ended up changing the fuel tank. It was leaking on top of the driver's side and the fuel made its way into the carpet underneath the back seat. Here in Canada they spread plenty of calcium on the roads during the winter season. On the original tank, I notice that the rubberized covering on top of the fuel tank was very thin and corrosion has set in and made three very small holes. As you said, if the tank is not filled to the top, it doesn't smell after a while. BTW, I never saw traces of fuel on the ground so I could not figure out what was the problem at first until it made its way up under the back seat on the driver's side where you can find an rubber plug that gives you access to the top of the tank. This could be your problem if you live in an area where they spread a lot of calcium.

I bought a second hand one for 100$ cnd and 300$ (labor & Tx). Good Luck.

Claude

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

cgilb