"99 Miata Gas Smell.

I have an overwhelming gas smell inside the car. Tank hasn't been overfilled and the cap is good. Been this way for a while. Just now getting around to trying to fix it. Any ideas?

Reply to
Ron

I would check the fuel line and fuel rail/fuel injectors for leakage. I had a rubber fuel hose on my current Miata split on me one time and it was spraying a lot of gas into the engine compartment.

This could be the same thing but a very small leak. It obviously would not take much to have the interior reeking with gas fumes.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Oh yeah, I would look closely at the hoses coming from the fuel pump as well. It is on the shelf behind the seats, underneath the carpet, so a small leak here would really smell up the interior badly.

HTH and let us know!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Chuck

If it is coming from this area, the carpet probably smells strongly of gas, more so than the rest of the interior. It is not too hard to pop out the carpet fasteners, peel the carpet forward and take a look.

Like Chuck said, this could also be the fuel pump seal, which immediately surrounds the fuel hoses. This rubber seal is all that is keeping the gas fumes in the tank from entering the interior. I have never seen one go bad, but it is possible.

If there is no smell in the trunk or under the hood, then either the fuel pump seal or the fuel pump hoses would definitely be the best guess.

Good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws

That sounds more like. It is definitely not coming from under the hood.

Reply to
Chuck

I just recently noticed a smell of gas in my '99 also. It seems to be the worst after I fill the tank and dissipates after some fuel is used. This is also a car that has only been driven in Florida and is garage kept.

rodney

Do you tend to fill up to the very top or stop the pump at the first cut-off? Just checking because the former can cause this smell.

In any case, the most likely source of the smell is the hose from the gas tank opening. If you do not top it all the way off when filling up, then this hose may need to be replaced to eliminate the gas smell.

Pat

Reply to
pws