92 Camry - Fuel Smell

My 92 wagon just started smelling like gas. I am sure there isn't a leak as

1) The fuel tank builds pressure while driving. (I get gas after driving and when I remove the cap there is slight built up pressure) 2) There are no drips 3) Fuel mileage is excellent as always 4) The smell is intermittent.

I was wondering if there may be an issue with my vapout canister, PCV valve, air cleaner, gas cap etc. Any ideas or similar experiences.

Currently it is too dam cold and sloppy here to get under the car and I would prefer ideas before the dealer puts it to me.

Thanks BC

1992 Camry Wagon 425,000 km.
Reply to
Dash Riprock

My 91 smells of gas, its got a leak somewhere. near the tank. If smell isnt from engine compartment, its a leak.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had the same problem with my 93 Camry. The tank was leaking but there was no sign of gas dripping anywhere except dark stains on the tank. The dirt on the tank acted as a sponge. After tank and filler neck were repaired, problem solved. I have a feeling this may be a common problem with Camry driven on roads that are sprayed with salt.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

My Mom complains of this in cold weather in her '86. I can't find anything; the only thing I can think is that the heat has something to do with it, but I can't figure what.

Does it smell like gas parked? My '85 Celica last spring staerted smelling like gas, but only when it was running, and I found the fuel lines had rust pinholes in them. Only smelled it when pressurized.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My 05 Camry smelled gas in the car when I pulled into garage, and the whole garage smelled gas a few minutes after shut off. I started checking the fuel lines and injector in the engine compartment (it was obviously from the front of the car). I touched the fuel injector and my fingers were covered with gas. The dealer fixed it and no more gas smell since.

I'd decide which section of the car the smell comes from and start checking the gas line.

Reply to
ZR