gusset front window leaks air

Hello,

the gusset (small triangle front rubber) of my right frontwindow of my Forester '99 leaks air, so a hissing noise is heard at highway speed. When I push the gusset (from inside ofcourse) against the window the windnoise disappears. So this rubber doesn't fit right anymore. You can see a small deviation of the rubber. Can I repair this gusset with f.i. hot air (with a hairföne) or something else or must this leaking gusset be replaced ?

regards, Wilco (The Netherlands)

Reply to
Wilco van Diest

The windows on the frameless door on Subarus are typically adjustable to increase or decrease pressure against the door gaskets.

It's possible all you need is to increase that pressure and your wind noise will go away. Where this adjustment is accessed, though, I don't know. Mine have been adjusted previously by the dealer service under warranty.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Lower the window and use both hands to squeeze the gusset together. Worked surprisingly well on mty wife's OBW. Also, train yourself to close the door by pushing on the lower part and avoid pushing the glass.

If not satisfactory, there are some adjustments internally I believe.

Carl

Wilco van Diest wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

deviation of

If Carl's easy fix doesn't work (must try that one next time!), then remove the trim panel from the door. There'll be the odd screw or three holding handles and things, but apart from that it's just carefully releasing the trim clips at the bottom and sides, then it lifts off. It may need a bit of wiggling to clear that triangle.

Assuming the Forester setup is the same as a Liberty or Outback, then at the top of the window aperture there should be two little metal clamps with a felt covered face that bears on the bottom of the glass. Release the bolt and adjust the clamp to where you want it. Moving it towards the outside of the car will push the top of the glass further inwards and vice versa. You usually need to adjust the clamp outwards.

When you've finished, just remember to reconnect any window & mirror connectors you unplugged to remove the trim panel. They work much better when you do .... (Been there, done that!) Anyone who slams your doors or catches things in the glass will make the problem return faster. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

I'm experiencing the exact same thing on my 01 Forester, except that it's on the driver's side and is very annoying.

Subaru has told me that it's a well known problem that they frequently see, but of course, they won't do a recall. Instead it's a $140 replacement/repair. Crooks.

Reply to
BRH

Hah, got mine in the shop right now, fixing it under warranty. Problem stems from the frameless windows, you get much more vibration when shutting the doors, vibration knocks the clips/bolts/whatevers a little out of whack. And once the wind gets in there, it keeps a nice little hole open, just enough to hiss and whistle of course.

-mark

Reply to
Mark

Carl,

thanks, it works !!!!

Wilco

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" schreef in bericht news:O0WHe.525$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net...

Reply to
Wilco van Diest

Is that the 36,000 mi warranty or the 60,000 mi (powertrain) warranty? I'm at just under 60K at the moment. (I know, I know. It's a longshot.)

Reply to
BRH

Car's in for it's 50,000KM service. We get a 3 year / 100,000km warranty in Aus, basically if anything goes wrong with the car it's fixed under warranty, unless caused by smashing or thrashing it.

-mark

Reply to
Mark jb

Mark, Subarus warranty is Australia is 3 years UNLIMITED kilometres.

You should know better.

Mark jb wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns

Bought it on NYE '02, so it's been a while since I looked. Either way, I knew i wasn't going to hit 100 thou before the 3 years were up, not much differance to me!

-mark

Reply to
Mark jb