'95 Legacy LSI Front End wobble...

Greetings,

I have a 1995 Legacy LSI with 109K miles. All is well except that at about

65-70mph there is a noticeable wobble in the steering wheel. If speed is raised above 70, it goes away. The brakes were changed at the dealership years ago and I still have the original rotors. I also have the same bushings, all of the rubber suspension parts and wheel bearings. Is there a good site with info about the parts that might be in need of replacement? I have had the wobble for a while prior to a passenger side front axle shaft. Leaking boot over the CV joint.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

Tie rod ends.

Reply to
KLS

Check your alignment, and tire wear. If the alignment is off, it can cause uneven tire wear, which causes the wobble at certain speeds. I had the same problem in my '00 Legacy. Unfortunately, if that is the problem, even if you fix the alignment, you'll probably need new tires before the wobble goes away.

Reply to
jbeaudoin77

How old are the tires. Not just tread wear, age also. Perhaps they have some seperation going on.

Carl

Bill Pelka wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for all the replies.

The tires are less than 6 months old. Just had them rotated and the problem is still there. They are good tires and the cars seems to track well and not "eat" tires. The wheels were balanced when the tires were installed. These are the original wheels and are removed during winter. In Spokane the roads are not heavily salted, so I eliminated the wheels, I do feel that the problem is front end suspension, bushings or, as suggested, tie rod ends.

Any more suggestion? I love this car and want to get it smooth again. AND I want to do it my self and stay FAR away from the Dealer...

replacement? I

Reply to
Bill Pelka

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Check the wheel balance, cheap to do and definitely will cause a wobble at those speeds if out of balance. Ask the tech to check the balance before he/she re-balances the wheels; usually they pull off the weights and then balance the wheel, so you won't know if the wheel was initially out of balance or not (unless the wobble goes away, which tells you they were in fact out of balance). Uneven tire wear or belt shift will also cause a wobble, and this can usually be seen when the tire is spinning on the balancing machine, but mention this as well to the tech, so they will be looking for a wobble as the wheel spins on the machine. Ed B

Reply to
ed