Head Gasket Replacement

Hi,

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately for me, I believe I have a leaking head gasket on my 99 Subaru Forester S. I can smell fuel/exhaust fumes in the coolant reservoir. Also, coolant is not flowing back from the reservoir into the radiator when the engine cools off.

Does anyone know of a good engine mechanic in the SF Bay Area -- preferably in the South Bay/Peninsula area? I know that's a tough question, but hopefully somebody has had a good experiences with a shop that has done engine work -- in particular, diagnosing and replacing a head gasket.

If I can't get a good recommendation, I will probably default to Carlsen Subaru.

Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
ken.subaru

Try San Francisco Autoworks

estimate was about 40% less than from that of a dealer. They havea good rating on cartalk mech files.Another good bet is Arts automotive in Berkley.http://www.artsautomotive.comFor outback 2000 headgasket work with belt, pump etc was around $2.7k See
if you need something morelocal.

Reply to
_AWDfan_