Head Gasket Leak

I believe I have a head gasket leak on my '98 Outback (100K miles) - coolant being pushed out into the overflow tank with bubbles when engine is running. No overheating to this point and the engine is running just fine. The dealer estimate was $1000 + if only one head was involved and almost double if they had to replace both gaskets.

The trick is figuring out which one of the heads is the culprit. What is the best way to do this? How does the estimate seem - reasonable or ripoff?

Anyone know of a good independent Subaru repair shop in the Annapolis, MD area?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Mauriello

Good question, but i think I have an even better suggestion that you may consider: Get rid of the car!

Pour some concentrated "Stop Leak" into the coolant, another heavy dose of sealant into the engine and sell the Subaru as fast as you can.

MN

Reply to
MN

Something like this ought to give you some time before you sell/trade-in the car.

MN

Reply to
MN

Not sure if the DOHC engines had a common location for failure but the later SOHC usually failed at rear left head.

Double the price if both head gaskets have to be replaced. Don't think so!

Engine needs to be pulled, most of the disassembly has to be done for just one head so can't see why 2x cost for both.

Recently had my HG replaced on my 00 obw. Both gaskets, heads resurfaced, ALL new seals/gaskets. Cost $1325 (U.S. $). If water pump and timing belt needed replacing it would have added a couple hundred to the cost. Independent subaru shop using all factory parts.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

If they just double the price for both sides, then make sure you make two different appointments - on different days. One for each side. At least they can do double the work then.

Reply to
Cam Penner

LOL, good point.

Reply to