Heads Out Reseal

My Impreza is a 1995 model with 108,000 miles on it. I took it in to the dealership today because of an oil leak and the key failing to engage when trying to start -- two issues.

They found:

Head gaskets leaking, valve covers leaking, oil pump leaking, com seals leaking, baffle plate * rear main seal leaking. Water pump also leaking coolant. The starter is also bad - solenoid not properly engaging.

I left it for the work: a Heads Out Reseal where they pull the engine completely and change all the seals, etc. The starter assembly will also be replaced, and the water pump will need to be replaced.

Estimate:

Starter Assy. $231 parts Heads Out Reseal $1500 parts & labor Water Pump $92.35

They're giving me two gaskets valued at $2.81 and $3.55, and they're throwing in the labor for the Starter Assy. $123.

I don't know if I'm asking anything, except, has anyone else had this done? Is the price comperable?

I'm driving a rental now, a KIA. I'm a bit bummed at having to spend money that I don't have right now. The problem is, if I go for a trade-in, I was told I'd get next to nothing for the car because of all of the work that has to be done to it.

I decided to go with the work because I could use the car for another

100,000.

Help.

GK

Reply to
gbsmith

It's hard to know what to tell you. The car is at the repair shop and you're pretty much at their mercy.

The starter is pretty much non-negotiable. As for the oil leaks, if you could do it over again, you could have Gunked the engine and then found out for yourself where they were coming from. The oil pump leak is pretty common.

I know you don't need anymore bad news, but if you haven't changed the timing belt, nows the time to do it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Transmission, wheel shafts, alternator, window motors... another 100,000 it could.

Reply to
Mike B.

Actually, one of the salesmen did ask me about the timing belt. They'll let me know. I'm sure that's only going to be parts, since they'll have the whole thing out of the car.

Reply to
gbsmith

Do you mean that I should anticipate changing the transmission in the near future?

It will also need CV joints. The right front shows a tear in the rubber.

I wouldn't get much > Transmission, wheel shafts, alternator, window motors...

Reply to
gbsmith

the prices sound about right, definitely replace the timing belt even if means a few extra labor dollars for cover removal etc.. . unless youv'e replaced it in the last 18 months. if your happy with the car & would drive it to 200k, then repair it, do it properly, (gunk, or watever, is for dying/old engines not engines of any worth), & take care of the bad axle, plus consider maint on the other axles to prevent this, that should carry you thru to 200k. driving costs money baby.

jellymax

(don't fry any wooden fish)

Reply to
ellymax

They are lying to you.

If the head gaskets were leaking you would be either blowing all your coolant out or all your oil.

I had a head gasket problem and it cost me AUD$965, thats around US$550. The work included skimming the heads, headgaskets, all seals on a 98 OBW.

It sounds like they are robbing you.

Have a nice day.

Pete D

Reply to
Pete D

Need a new CV joint because the boot has a tear in it? What?! The boot is replacable isn't it?

Replace the boot now before it gets any worse, if you replace it shortly after it tears, then you're CV joint will be fine. Even if you're not going to replace it, make sure there is lots of grease around the CV joint to displace the water and lubricate it.

Reply to
Mike