how to read brake pad wear?

I looked at my brakes and I see this:

(front passenger side) How do I read the wear status of the pad? Or, how do I know when to replace the pad? Do I have to take the wheel off and make a measurement?

This is a 2002 impreza wrx with 37K gently driven miles on original brake pads.

Reply to
peter

Hi,

I can't see anything in your pic that tells me whether you can see the pads from the "rear", but many, if not most, modern calipers are set up such that you can remove the wheel and look thru a "window" in the caliper where you should be able to see both pads pressed against the rotor. With this design you can easily check any time you have the wheel off, like at every tire rotation (hint.) If your caliper doesn't have this window, you'll probably have to loosen a bolt to swing the caliper up and pull the pads to measure them, though some allow enough "visual access" from the front to see the pads. Getting a repair manual is a good investment if you're not sure.

Your owners' manual may spec a minimum pad thickness. It's usually in the range of 1/16" to 1/8" (~1.5-3mm.) That's from the pad side face of the backing plate to the surface of the pad. Many pads have a groove in them to use as a visual guide so you don't have to measure. When the pad wears to the bottom of the groove, that's the minimum.

Personally, I like the 1/8" point as a "do it now" replacement guide, even if the mfr specs a thinner wear limit. It keeps me from letting things go too long, which can get to be a pricey mistake, FAST!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

OEM should also have an 'indicator'(a tab that will make a sound when it contacts the rotor) right? He could just wait till it starts squealing.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

Could do that, but I don't like those things. Here's part of the reason why:

I have 'em on a couple of vehicles (same make--not Subie--different models, same basic brake design) Both were purchased used. One was dealer maintained by the previous owner, and either the pads were changed before the noise makers kicked in, or else new noise makers were installed w/ each pad change. No problem.

The other was maintained by a combo of a local mechanic and the local quickie lube place by the previous owner. Omigosh... the stuff I've found! Previous owner was an elderly gentleman who must have been hard of hearing. The noise makers had to have been really squealing by the time the pads were replaced. The local mechanic simply installed the old worn noise makers on the new pads (which, sadly, IS "by the book"--even new OEM pads from that mfr. come w/o new noise makers.) The wear on the noise makers is such the pads will be worn below "MIN" before the next time anyone hears any noise!

Call me a dinosaur, but for brake inspections I prefer the visual approach!

Rick C

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to
dr.benway

On Subies take off the left ft wheel and right rear. Look at the Bottom of each; these are the points that subies like to wear at.

Reply to
Stephen H