No brake pad wear sensor?

I heard a scrunching sound coming from the front wheel wells of my

2004 Chrysler Pacifica.

I took off the brake pads to look to see how much life remained and to determine if this was the source of the noise.

To my surprise, there are no wear sensors on these. There was some remaining life on the pad material. These are the original factory pads and the car now has 57000 miles on it.

Do they make the pads near the backing plate out of a different material so that it emits this noise these days?

Reply to
Tim

You sure your ABS isn't kicking in? Scrunching or crunching is a typical description of an active ABS.

Reply to
Bill Putney

I thought it might be, but there is no pulsing and it occurs at very ordinary decelerations when the car is close to stopping.

I got some new pads today (from Chrysler) and, sure enough, no wear sensor on the new ones either.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I'll mention just one weird possibility that you can quickly rule in or out: Do you perhaps have one tire a different size than the others that is making the one wheel not turn as fast as the others and fooling the ABS into activating?

Reply to
Bill Putney

I thought it might be, but there is no pulsing and it occurs at very ordinary decelerations when the car is close to stopping.

I got some new pads today (from Chrysler) and, sure enough, no wear sensor on the new ones either.

They probably just didn't put "wear sensors" on them to save money.

A lot of people may not pay attention to the noise of a wear sensor anyway, not realizing the idea is to take the car in for new brakes, not ignore the noise by turning up the stereo.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

OK, tonight I installed the new brake pads and the same noise is there. It doesn't sound like metal on metal, but instead like a creaky rocking chair. I don't think the wheels are different sizes but maybe it is the ABS.

It is difficult to separate out whether it is the brakes or simply the weight of the car shifting to the front upon stopping. I bounced the car up and down and I don't hear the noise. I also only hear the noise as the car is about to stop (in other words not when the car is decelerating, say, from 50 to 30mph).

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Just a follow-up for those interested: it turned out to be the sway bar end link.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

An end link problem should only make noise when the wheels on opposite sides of the same end (front or rear) of the car are moving out of phase with each other - i.e., one wheel moving up or down and the other wheel moving the opposite or not at all due to small bumps, going over speed bumps at angles, going over parking lot entrance dips at an angle, potholes, ext., and would not be too speed related.

Assuming that your description of the symptoms is accurate and complete (and I'm not at all saying that that was not the case), I am a little surprised to find that out the problem was an end link.

Anyway - glad you got it figured out and fixed.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Follow-up to the follow-up:

You were right to question the diagnosis. The end links were, in fact, broken but they were not responsible for the noise.

Next, replaced the left and right struts and mounts. The problem went away but returned the next day.

Looks like I am doomed to have this noise for the life of the car.

Tim

Reply to
Tim