Just how limited is the US STI?

The guys at my local dealership would have you thinking there is only a handfull of them out there, and that they may not make any more of these cars after this year. I don't believe them, but I am curious as to just how limited the production of these cars is.

Thanks,

--Dan

Reply to
dg

IIRC, about 3500/year in the US, vs. around 6000/year for the Evo. FWIW - I see a lot more STi's running around in the Pacific NW than EVO's, and I have seen several at autocross events, but not even one Evo. It is, however, a very good market for Subaru.

Ron.

Reply to
Ron Loewy

I was at an event yesterday in St. Cloud MN and there were at least 3 STi's there, they are not as rare as the dealer would like you to think. If you want one, contact Muscatell Subaru in Moorhead, MN. They will have to order it but they are selling them exactly at MSRP.

Reply to
WRXtreme

It's not just the HP that is different, it is a whole new beast unlike any AWD the USDM has seen before. You also get HUGE brakes with the STi, nicer rims, better suspension, better tires, and an overall better "feel". Maybe I am overreacting but big brakes cost $1.6k or more plus installation, Rims/Tires are $2k, a good suspension is $1.5k or more plus installation, variable torque distribution (or even computer controlled distribution) is invaluable, more displacement is always good as it allows for more modding (usually), and the "Whale Tail" wing is designed to appear similar (maybe even the same, not sure) as the WRC rally cars and, according to subaru, is functional as well.

Reply to
WRXtreme

You get a lot more than 75 more hp with the STi. You get the DCCD which is awesome, a much stronger better built 6-speed tranny, a Front LSD, bigger, better brakes, better suspension. Definitely worth the

9k extra imo.
Reply to
Jason Kavanaugh

Yup. As on reviewer said of the STi: "If you think it is just a WRX with a big-assed wing, you're in for a rude surprise." I was going to buy the WRX. After I test drove it, I thought this was the best car I had ever driven... until I drove the STi. I have had it for three months now and it simply gets stronger and better. I have an acquaintance who has done the Stage 4 Mod to the WRX. He puts out a bit more horsepower than the stock STi (so his top end is a tick faster). However, he can't out accelerate it (close ratio 6-speed is awesome), he can't out-turn it (I can get at least 10 clicks faster into a turn), and he can't out brake it. He does all his own work. By his own admission, to get his WRX to a level that could compete with the STi would cost him nearly four grand (including the price of the WRX and the cost of the mods he has already done) more than an STi is new.

So, if you don't think the added performance is worth the $9000, then the STi is not for you anyway.

Reply to
FNO

Oh, I agree, it is expensive and I guess that is because of the awd and stuff. Personally if I was spending 35k on a new car for performance it would most likely be a 2003/4 Ford SVT Cobra. :)

Of course my dream vehicle is a Jeep Rubicon and I personally don't like spending more than 26 or 27k on a vehicle. Just too much for transportation ya know? Is that bad for me to say at 24yrs old? lol

Reply to
Jason Kavanaugh