Nissan Maxima in snow

I am thinking of picking up a Maxima this year, just wondering how this thing handles in the snow and ice, I live in a place where we get all 4 seasons and I am currently driving an explorer w/ 4WD. I notice that the Maxima has VDC, how well does this function work, I imagine it isn't as good as 4WD but just curious, is it available for the manual transmission? How well does the traction control system work on the Maxima, I looked on the site but it doesn't say much about it. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
MD

What year Maxima are you looking at?

My '01SE does very well in all but the deep stuff. I put 4 Michelin Arctic Alpins on it. I used to have a 4WD, and was pleasantly surprised how well the Max does in the snow.

Greg '01SE

Reply to
Greg Jansen

I have an Exploder as well, and frankly, it's terrible on ice or anything slick. The anti-lock brakes just will not allow the wheels to lock up, which is actually beneficial at slow speeds on slippery surfaces. The wedge of snow that builds up under the front of the tires helps slow you down at slow speeds. There have been numerous intersections that I just go right through because the vehicle won't stop. A good ABS system will basically turn itself off below about 15 MPH. But the Exploder's doesn't, so the wheels are really never braking, so I stop VERY slowly. It's annoying, and would be more dangerous if I didn't live out in the county away from lots of traffic. Granted, mine is a '94, so the ABS on newer vehicles may be better. My Dad has a '96 Contour that has basically the same problem. (Heck, my old 1988 Audi had better ABS than either Ford).

As for my Maxima (a '91 SE), I just put some good snow tires on it, and it drives just fine. I drive about 600 miles a week to and from school, through all kinds of weather here in northern Michigan, and it's been just fine. The only times I've been late were due to other morons on the road who either didn't know how to drive, or had cars that weren't capable of handling the weather.

Also, do some reading on VDC. It's quite a bit different than 4WD or AWD. It may help you when you lose control, but it's not going to help you with straight ahead traction like 4WD will.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

175,140 miles
Reply to
Bill G

I had a chance a four years ago to really test my 99 Maxima SE (No traction control system) and with the original GoodYear RSA tires with lots of tread on them. I traveled over 200 miles on ice and snow covered highways and city streets. My Maxima huged to road without any slipping problems. Have no fear of the Maxima in winter.

Reply to
clearingtheair

As always, how a car drives in snow depends on the nut behind the wheel.

Reply to
Carroll Boardway

This answer is the BEST yet.

My hat is off to you Carroll (you da man or woman, which ever fits )

I guess the car does make you a driver, after all you are driving the car. it only does what you tell/ask it to.

transmission?

Reply to
NissTech

transmission? How

There's a lot of apples and oranges comparisons going on here, I think. Not only are the posters' Maximas equipped with different tires, but some may have the viscous limited slip differential as well.

The Maxima SE manual tranny does, as I recall. My I30t auto does as well. It isn't as good as 4 wheel drive, but it is far, far better in rain and snow than the VDC/traction control equipped cars I've experienced.

My 2004 Accord has traction control, and it is a worthless joke even in the rain.

JM

Reply to
jmattis

My 90 Max, though I have it set fo warm "speedy" days per say, handled snow and ice quite well this year.

Reply to
FEAR THE SWAMP

My Maximas have both done well in the snow, with winter tires on all four corners. Prior to winter tires, I could not tell if any problems were due to wear on reg tires, or the car itself. But having all four wheels protected has been the key for me. Currently running Toyo G2 winters on my 95 SE. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

transmission? How

Reply to
BeeP

I agree, the tires make a huge difference. Just put some new tires on my 03 Max and handling in the snow improved greatly. (in massachusetts, new tires are Avon Techs).

Reply to
You_Know_Who~