98 forester radiator , bleeding it.. bleeder valve?

i have noticed a water sound coming from behind the dash since i bought this forester, i've asked around on the net and everyone have pretty much agreed its air in the heater core.

i've been told to bleed the air out of the system by taking off the radiator cap and starting up the engine, wait for the air to burp then add more coolant.

problem : when i try this the radiator starts to overflow from open cap.

question: i've noticed a little plastic screw up the far upper right side of the radiator. its a flat plastic looking screw with a philips head. is this the so called "bleeder valve" ? does this have anything to do with bleeding the air out of the system?

can someone please explain this process. thanks!!!

car: 1998 subaru forester S

Reply to
glasceus

My 2000 Forester does not have a bleeder. The way I fill my cooling system is: Park car on a level area or with the front of the car slightly up. Remove the radiator cap and top up coolant. Run engine at a fast idle (book says 2000 rpm) for 5 minutes after the top radiator hose id HOT (thermostat open). Top up radiator-clean cap and radiator sealing surface and install cap. Top up reservoir. Recheck reservoir level after the next few hot/cold cycles. Has worked for me always.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

That's the one. Park -w- the cars nose slightly uphill, and let it idle with the cap off, the bleeder open, and the heater running. It will likely puke some coolant as it warms up; no big deal, just don't let your dog drink it. Once the engine is up to operating temperature (the fans will start to cycle), add fresh coolant until the bleeder overflows. Close the bleeder, replace the cap, top off the reservoir if needed, and you should be good to go. You think that's a PITA, you should see what I have to go thru to "bleed" the coolant system on my mid-engined MR2 :-P

ByeBye! S.

thanks a lot for the help. i went out today and bought 2 gallons of premixed 50/50 coolant just in cause the radiator pukes out that much. i'm gonna attempt the bleed this afternoon when the engine cools off. i hope this works. thanks a lot. i will post the results later

Reply to
glasceus

well i tried it, used about a gallon of coolant, and now the water sounds are louder. i'm officially concerned

Reply to
glasceus

Hmmmm. Didja get any air out during the procedure; you would have seen bubbles, maybe large, at the filler neck? Was the heater running? They can be stubborn, but the procedure I gave you has always worked for me. Admittedly on Legacys, and Imprezas; haven't had to do my wifes Forester yet (and now _I'm_ nervous), and the older soobies were never a problem. I'd try it again; get the front end UP, perhaps on a set of ramps or something. Listen for air in the heater lines/core, and keep after it 'til you get it to come out. You might try restricting the lower hose with a large pliers to see if you can force more flow thru the heater loop? You might also try (this will be a pain in the butt) disconnecting the heater hoses and filling the core with a funnel. I'll ask around (I know a couple very skilled Subaru wrenches), and see if anyone has anything else to recommend; will be next Tuesday before I'm able to report back, tho.

ByeBye! S.

My manual (2000 Forester) tells me to run engine at 2000 to 2500 rpm for 5 minutes to expel air. I do this AFTER the top hose id too hot to grab.

Reply to
Edward Hayes