miss in engine while passing

I have started noticing a miss in my Outback (H-4) when passing or pulling a hard uphill grade. The car has 80,000 miles. The plugs were changed at 30,000 (platinum plugs) but the wiring is the original. I am suspect the wiring is ready to be replaced. I will be checking things out this weekend. My questions are:

  1. What should the resistance measure on the wires if they are still OK?
  2. If I replace the wires, should I also replace the distributor cap? (If this were my old Mustang, the cap, rotor and wires would all go. Just not sure about electronic ignition)

Thanks

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Edward Hayes

Just one man's opinion....

Fill it with Chevron Supreme and toss in a bottle of injector cleaner before tearing into the wiring. You might get lucky.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Distributor cap???? Check the coil pack. These often go bad or get weak. I get mine at NAPA and it says Mitsubishi on it just like the OEM Subaru part...lots cheaper. TG TG

Reply to
TG

Well I replaced the wires today. I tested them and one of them was definitely bad. I have a 600 mile drive on Monday so I should know by then if it solved the problem.

Finding wires was tough. The two Subaru dealers on the west side of Portland (Carr and Royal Moore decided to shut down the parts department for a three day weekend) None of the parts stores had wires for the 2000 and up models in stock. They had wires for the '99 and before, but nothing newer. Fortunately, Lithia in Oregon City was open, had the wires and I made it over there before they closed. (in my wife's Acura TL, now there is one sweet road machine) Took fours to chase down the parts, 20 minutes to change. (sigh)

thanks for the help

Jack

Reply to
Jack