Newbie question

I'm currently looking to purchase a used OBW ('01 +/-). The vehicles in my price range average 100,000 miles. Can anyone let me know their experience with these cars? Have there been any major problems? Any input would help. Thanks!!

Best regards, snipped-for-privacy@balcanicsoft.com snipped-for-privacy@bankarea.com

justa.sconce

My 2000 Forester, same engine has had no problems in 99,000 miles. So much depends on how the maintenance was kept up. Look for strong evidence of service records such as receipts and dealer stamped log book and dealer receipts. One major service is due at 105,000 miles which is a 4-$500 cost and is the timing belt change interval. If you at that mileage be sure you have documentation that it was done or you must pay for it.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I thought the Foresters had the 2.2 back then?

As for the OP & the '01 OBW, I sold mine in March, with 39k. Here's my thoughts related to my ONE example:

Pros:

- Best snow vehicle, ever! I've had plenty of 4x4's and they didn't compare. I can't underline this praise enough.

- Consistent 22-23 MPG, with a four bike roof rack or towing a small ~1000 pound trailer and 75 MPH highway cruise speeds. Without the rack, about 24-25 was the norm for me. Considering the size and weight of the car, I was happy with the mileage.

- Comfy for a large range of driver and passenger sizes

- The heated seats, mirrors, and wipers were awesome and well worth the money.

- Excellent use of interior space

- I was happy with the interior style, layout, materials, etc... for the entire time I owned it. The dark grey cloth hid the grunge I left from mountain biking, crawling under my airplane, home improvements, etc... very well.

- I liked the stereo, with 6 disc changer & sub (after tweaking!)

- Plenty of power from the 4 banger, cruise control worked great

- Easy and relatively fun to drive car, but it's no WRX.

- I could fit 10'+ moldings, hardwood, and PVC pipe inside (one end on the dash), with the rear gate shut.

- Subaru's online service documentation is reasonably priced, accurate, and very usable. Cons

- The clutch sucked, and my local dealership's support was even worse.

- The clutch slipped from 7k on...

- The clutch stunk (like burning lining)

- The clutch was worrisome...

- Clutch issues were documented on "Car Talk" radio show, and several written columns, Subaru still refused to own up. Get it yet?

- ABS kicked in way early for my taste

- The brakes are barely up to the task, especially when towing well within the published limits. Needed new front pads, that I installed myself, at 29k.

- The headlights stunk

- Build quality of my Indiana-built 2001 example was average. Much better than my Jeeps & company provided Chevy, about the same as my Nissans and Mazdas, but well behind my Toyotas. This comment is based entirely on vehicles I've actually owned.

- Drivers door rattled when shut, especially with the window down. This was never resolved. It really made the car sound cheesily made.

- I never really got into the exterior styling.

As far as the clutch and brakes go, it 'ain't me! I typically get

100,000+ on clutches and 45k+ on brakes. The only reason I think this problem isn't more apparent is that OBW's are relatively rare with manual transmissions.

The performance and drivability of the 4 cylinder engine is far better with the stick over the automatic in the '00-'02 models. I haven't driven anything later, so I can't comment.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I paid $ 7000 cash for my 2000 outback limited year ago, and generally I'm very happy with my subie - it's snow and wet pavement performance is amazing; currently I carry firewood for my fireplace every couple weeks from a place where snow reache your knees - no prob.; the only issue I should mention is head gasket weep ( both coolant and oil - cooland maily during winter monts, and oil during the summer; but don't women weep once a month? lol) - but - as my mechanic says - as long as you keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels, you're allright - so am I cheers

Reply to
daszkiew2000

I have been looking for subaru in the similar price range, test drove

10, took 3 cars into mechanic and eventually bought 00 OBW. Here are my thoughts: 1) Head gasket problmes! search this forum for more details. There was an official recall for some models, it also has very high chance of happening @100000 or so on any 2.5. Check if it was ever repaired or at least treated with conditioner. The repair is very costly ~$2k+. However, if it has been done timing belt and oil pump are replaced along.

2) Check for various oil leaks - engine crank seal, oil pan gasket, transmission seal.

Here is recommended strategy - look for visual signs of the above two problems (like foamy or smelly radiator fluid for 1st). If it exist - stay away. Try to find one with the repairs have been done just recently in the reputable shop. Many owners feel like getting rid of the car after such a repair bill. Take it to mechanic FOR PRE-PURCHASE CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I began to get desperate after 3 weeks of searching. if the car I eventually got did not go smothly at the dealership check I would've abbandon the subaru and search for crv/rav4. But I found one and happy with it so far. Good luck in your search

Reply to
_AWDfan_

I have been looking for subaru in the similar price range, test drove

10, took 3 cars into mechanic and eventually bought 00 OBW. Here are my thoughts: 1) Head gasket problmes! search this forum for more details. There was an official recall for some models, it also has very high chance of happening @100000 or so on any 2.5. Check if it was ever repaired or at least treated with conditioner. The repair is very costly ~$2k+ 2) Check for various oil leaks - engine crank seal, oil pan gasket, transmission seal. However, if it has been done timing belt and oil pump are replaced along.

Here is recommended strategy - look for visual signs of the above two problems (like foamy or smelly radiator fluid for 1st). If it exist - stay away. Try to find one with the repairs have been done just recently in the reputable shop. Many owners feel like getting rid of the car after such a repair bill. Take it to mechanic FOR PRE-PURCHASE CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I began to get desperate after 3 weeks of searching. if the car I eventually got did not go smothly at the dealership check I would've abbandon the subaru and search for crv/rav4. But I found one and happy with it so far. Good luck in your search

Reply to
_AWDfan_

Being an 01, you could be in for a head gasket failure. Typ the original is good for about 125k miles. Not all cars will see this issue but wasn't fully corrected at the factory until 02. The repair cost is going to be in the range of $1500 - 2500. You might be getting close for front axle shaft boots to start failing. Mine first failed (

Reply to
Mickey

  • My OBW ('01) has now about 60,000 miles. No problems at all. (With the exception of a chain-link fence that jumped in front of me once.)

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

Anything after '02... just like any car... things will go. My son's rear wheel bearing went at 61K ($400).

Reply to
M. Butkus

how come it was $400? front wheel bearing on my '03 toyota corolla went @ 52 K miles and I only paid about $150 parts and labor.... where did your son go for the repair?

Reply to
daszkiew2000

I have a 99 legacy wagon that has had some HEAVY driving- almost 250K. Aside from normal maintenance stuff... brakes, timing belt, tune up, oil changes... the only thing I had to deal with was a faulty oil pump. My car still has the original clutch and it has excellent engine compression. I have some sort of computer problem right now, but other than that this car has been AWESOME. This is my third subaru, and all three I drove to over 250k miles. I plan on keeping this one for at least another five years. This is the older body style. I don't know if that makes a difference. Good Luck

Reply to
tkt117